1753538 Members
4743 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

** Cannot Register Service: RPC_CANT_SEND **

Michael Gretton
Frequent Advisor

** Cannot Register Service: RPC_CANT_SEND **

I have rebooted my 10.20 K210 server after it has been up for quite sometime without a reboot. After rebooted the syste, the machine hangs during the boot process with several error messages - on of which is below:

CANNOT REGISTER SERVICE: RPC_CANT_SEND...CAN'T ASSIGN REQUESTED ADDRESS.

Has anyone seen this before or have a clue as to what is wrong? I have installed a new piece of software (Remedy) and I am going to remove its start up script which is what seems to be causing the problem. However, I need to eventually get these two to live together. If anyone has a clue, please let me know.

Mike
6 REPLIES 6
Michael Duthie
Trusted Contributor

Re: ** Cannot Register Service: RPC_CANT_SEND **

Sounds like a problem starting NFS. Have you changed any of the /etc/rc.config/nfsconf settings or IP addr
Michael Gretton
Frequent Advisor

Good try but I am not using NFS. :((

Thanks for the response though.

Mike
Michael Duthie
Trusted Contributor

You may not be using it - but is it configured?

where about in the startup process does it hang?
Magdi KAMAL
Respected Contributor

Hi Michael,

Are you using DCE ( Distributed Computed Environment ) : For this at least two processes should run :

cdsadv
dced

If they are configured but not started you have such an error message. Try also the command "rgy_edit" and then "pr" ( pr : for properties ) to check if you could have connection de the Cell DCE.

Path to "rgy_edit" is /opt/dce/bin.

Magdi
Magdi KAMAL
Respected Contributor

Hi again Michael,

type also "rpcinfo" to see if the rpc daemon is accepting registration from rpc client.

Magdi
Alex Glennie
Honored Contributor

I suspect Remedy is the culprit, is your system patched wrt both Remedy & hpux/rpc ?

Have you multiple netwk cards and are their assigned ip addresses correct ?

fyi if dce is involved the daemon dced will be running, if not it will be rpcd .

This is a complete guess but I'm wondering if a port conflict between Remedy and something else possibly nfs could be causing this rpcinfo -t may help as might :

Restricting RPC Addresses
The runtime looks for a RPC_SUPPORTED_NETADDRS environment variable, which allows a user or administrator to restrict the network addresses that a DCE server will advertise in the name space/endpoint-map.

The RPC_SUPPORTED_NETADDRS environment variable is used to force the DCE/RPC service to bind to specific LAN cards in a multi-homed environment. If this environment variable is set, only addresses in the list are advertised in the endpoint map; addresses not found on the list are excluded from the server's list of available addresses. To restrict the servers to using only a specified set of IP addresses, set the RPC_SUPPORTED_NETADDRS environment variable before starting the servers. The syntax is:

RPC_SUPPORTED_NETADDRS=protocol:ip_address[,protocol:ip_address]

ie:

RPC_SUPPORTED_NETADDRS= ncadg_ip_udp:192.1.1.1

export RPC_SUPPORTED_NETADDRS

OR

RCP_SUPPORTED_NETADDRS=ncacn_ip_tcp:15.1.1.1,ncacn_ip_tcp:15.12.2.2

export RPC_SUPPORTED_NETADDRS

OR

export RPC_SUPPORTED_NETADDRS=ip:15.12.2.2

(Use ip only if you do not want to specify which protocol to use first)

Set the environment variable before starting dced/rpcd.

On HP-UX 10.20, add the environment variable to the files

/sbin/init.d/dce

/etc/opt/dce/dce_com_env

/etc/opt/dce/dce_config_env files

and /sbin/init.d/ncs.(HPUX 10.20) or /sbin/init.d/Rpcd (HPUX 11).

Then restart the system to make the IP address restriction take affect.