108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Cannot see CD-ROM when installing RH 7.2 on Netserver LC

SOLVED
Go to solution
Paul Mancillas
Advisor

Cannot see CD-ROM when installing RH 7.2 on Netserver LC

I'm trying to install Red Hat 7.2 on an old HP Netserver LC 133. I boot from the install CD and it gets to the screen where it asks for the "Installation Method". My choices are "NFS image", "FTP" or "HTTP" but no "Local CD-ROM". It's like it does not see the (internal SCSI) CD-ROM drive at that point. I can boot from the RH 7.1 CD and it gives me the option of installing from the CD-ROM drive, but the 7.2 CD does not. Any help is very much appreciated.

Paul Mancillas
3 REPLIES 3
Charles Slivkoff
Respected Contributor
Solution

Re: Cannot see CD-ROM when installing RH 7.2 on Netserver LC

Can you get to the other virtual consoles (CTRL+ALT+Fn)?

VC#2 might have a shell prompt that you can use to poke around in /proc, etc.

VC#3 & #4 may have other useful info as well.

Have you tried booting from floppy? You will need 2 floppies, one having "boot.img", the other drvblock.img for the SCSI drivers.

Mark Fenton
Esteemed Contributor

CPaul,

It sounds like Linux is dumping the driver for the scsi adapter after it boots. You'll probably have to follow a procedure like Chuck suggests to make sure it loads the scsi drivers in the kernel during setup.

good luck!
Mark
Paul Mancillas
Advisor

Chuck & Mark,

Thanks for the suggestions. I fixed the problem. I had to create a "driver floppy disk" by copying a file called "oldcdroms" from the RH 7.2 Installation disk to a floppy disk. The Red Hat 7.2 Installation Guide gave me the solution. Then I had to boot up in "expert" mode at the "boot:" prompt so it would ask me to use the driver disk. Apparently the driver for the old Sony CD-ROM drive that I have is not in the install kernel by default. Once I did this then I could choose to install from the "Local CD-ROM".

Paul