108723 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Capturing Linux image from blade servers with LUNs presented

SOLVED
Go to solution
Rod Rupps
Occasional Contributor

Capturing Linux image from blade servers with LUNs presented

I am having difficulty capturing an image of my Linux installation running on a blade server with volumes presented to it from the SAN. I have used showdisk to determine which drive designation the local drives are (this is where SLES 9 is installed) and I have used that switch option in the capture job. The job completes successfully, but only captures the first LUN that was presented from the SAN. I only want to capture the local drives and not any volumes from the SAN. I have been reading the forums and have noticed people saying to disconnect the SAN volumes before capturing the image.

Is it not possible to capture the image with the SAN volumes connected?

Why is showdisk and rdeploy not seeing the same Disk designation?

I am using RDP 3.10, Novell Suse Linux Enterprise Server 9.3, BL460c blades, HP Storage Works SAN.
2 REPLIES 2
Oliver Schwank
Valued Contributor
Solution

Hello,

we did have the same problem. Our workaround was to delete the SAN driver from the rootfs.gz image on the RDP server. After that the SAN disks will be completely ignored.

So go to:

\Altiris\eXpress\Deployment Server\PXE\Images\MenuOption130\X86PC

First create a backup of the rootfs.gz file. Then copy the rootfs.gz image to a Linux box, uncompress it, loopback mount it (mount -o loop,rw) delete all the Qlogic drivers) compress it and copy the image back to your server. After booting your blade with that image you can deploy (or capture) your system to the internal boot disks with SAN disks connected.

I heard that there should be a possibility in the RDP to prevent this kind of problem but I did not find it till yet.

Bye

Oli
Rod Rupps
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your reply.
I did exactly what you said and it works perfectly.

Thank you very much for your help.
Much appreciated!

Rod