pehp12

CentOS 6.2 on HP Proliant DL380 G5 fails to boot after install

CentOS 6.2 on HP Proliant DL380 G5 fails to boot after install

What do I do?

2 REPLIES 2
Reiner  Rottmann
Frequent Advisor

Re: CentOS 6.2 on HP Proliant DL380 G5 fails to boot after install

Without a proper problem description, I may only give a generic advice regarding RHEL/CentOS 6 boot issues:

http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Installation_Guide/ap-rescuemode.html#s1-rescuemode-common-problems

Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Re: CentOS 6.2 on HP Proliant DL380 G5 fails to boot after install

Try booting from the installation media into rescue mode. If the installation was successful, this should be able to automatically find the installation and mount it into /mnt/sysimage of the rescue environment. You can then use this command to access the installed system just like when running normally:

chroot /mnt/sysimage /bin/bash

After this, start troubleshooting.

If the system failed to even reach the bootloader menu screen, my first guess would be that the bootloader installation step might have mis-detected the boot disk. Look into /boot/grub/device.map: does it identify the boot disk correctly, i.e. is the GRUB identifier (hd0) associated with the correct Linux disk device? If this is wrong, you should edit the device.map file to match reality and then reinstall GRUB (usually the "grub-install" command is the easiest way to do that).

The second place to check is the /boot/grub/grub.conf file. The GRUB root device identifier should refer to the partition that holds the /boot directory. If /boot is a separate filesystem, GRUB will see the /boot as the root directory, and the vmlinuz and initrd path names should reflect that.

MK