6064 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

CentOS boot fails from Snap Clone disk

Kaukonen
Advisor

CentOS boot fails from Snap Clone disk

Hello,

I just tried to backup my CentOS by snap cloning the disk. I presented the disk to a blade server and tried to boot. I get e2fsck errors from boot partition /dev/mapper/mpath0p1. So first of all I check the multipath configuration to match the new WWID on cloned disk. That cured one error. But still was unable to pass due e2fsck error.

I did e2fsck in rescue mode to mpath0p1 and it said /boot is clean. Still unable to boot up.

I'm attaching screen shot of the error message to this post.

2 REPLIES 2
Kaukonen
Advisor

Re: CentOS boot fails from Snap Clone disk

Forgot to mention that I am running on EVA4400 and Blade bl460 g6 hardware.

HPDMultipath version 4.4.0.

Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Re: CentOS boot fails from Snap Clone disk

For some reason, the system says /dev/mapper/mpath0p1 is already mounted at that time fsck runs. I wonder what could cause that?

Did you re-create your initrd after changing the WWID?

If your root filesystem is on multipathed disk, the initrd must necessarily contain the WWID information too, since the multipath subsystem must be activated before mounting the multipathed root filesystem. If your initrd contains old WWID information and your actual root filesystem has conflicting new information, it might cause some confusion.

You might want to use the shell the system offers you to try and check all the appropriate filesystems at this point (without seeing your /etc/fstab, it's hard to be more specific than that). If that produces any error messages, those messages might help understanding the problem.

MK
MK