1752770 Members
5001 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Change of folder/directory size required a mail

malise

Change of folder/directory size required a mail

Hello All,

I want to know in my ftp location whether the file is existed or not , if existed needs to send mail.

This should not configured in crontab after writing script and it should not be uitlise much resources

Automatically it needs to check of the folder/directory size like a trigger and it sholud send a mail

is there any command in HP-UX for this ? or any solution please help me

Thanks in advance

Regards,
Mali
5 REPLIES 5
Shibin_2
Honored Contributor

Re: Change of folder/directory size required a mail

If you have any monitoring tools installed, utilize that.

Otherwise, without cron / other scheduled job, how you can expect to run a script to check automatically ?
Regards
Shibin
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi:

> Automatically it needs to check of the folder/directory size like a trigger and it sholud send a mail

Checking the number of blocks allocated to a directory, or its size in bytes, or whether its overall content size (as with 'du -s') increases or decreases) isn't going to help you.

From your meager description, it sounds like you know when a file is added or changed in your directory. For that, you could write a script that records the most recently modified file's timestamp; sleeps for some period; awakens and compares the most recently modified file timestamp to what it last remembered. If newer, send an email.

Regards!

...JRF...
malise

Thanks alot for the reply
Viktor Balogh
Honored Contributor

> Otherwise, without cron / other scheduled job, how you can expect to run a script to check automatically ?

this sounds like an endless while loop...

while true
do
check_what_was_changed
sleep $SOMETIME
done
Unix operates with beer.
malise

thanks alot