108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Changing Keyboard lang under CDE

SOLVED
Go to solution
Stefan Saliba
Trusted Contributor

Changing Keyboard lang under CDE

Does anyone know how to change the keyboard language under CDE. I know there is a script somewhere but cannot find it.

7 REPLIES 7
Stefan Farrelly
Honored Contributor

Re: Changing Keyboard lang under CDE

/usr/dt/config/Xlangsetup

Once you change the language this resets it withing CDE and picks the matching keyboard layout. Take a look at it, easy enough to change.
Im from Palmerston North, New Zealand, but somehow ended up in London...
Alex Glennie
Honored Contributor

Hey Stefan could you elaborate ..... give me an eg I'd like to look into this too
Stefan Saliba
Trusted Contributor

The problem is that the keyboard has some keys which print the wrong characters. I have a UK keyboard and it seems it is working as a US keyboard i.e. say the @ symbol is replaced with the " symbol. Worse still the pipe symbol does not even work.

I tried the Xlangsetup but did not work. I cheked out the script and it seems that Xlangsetup takes some arguments. I tried with the arguments a still does not work.

Any help

Stefan
Alex Glennie
Honored Contributor

Stefan S - Yes I'd like to know how to use Xlangsetup too .... Stefan F could you elaborate ?

If it were me I'd check what the contents of /etc/kbdlang are set to, along with your current $LANG/LOCALE settings.

Also if before you log into CDE you change the Options -> Language settings do you see any change ?

Lastly have a look at the xmodmap(1) command : of particular interest would be the output from xmodmap -pke.

Wodisch
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hello,

the keyboard language is configured in the "/etc/kbdlang" and activated from "/sbin/bcheckrc"!

Use "itemap -iL" to get the list of choices...

HTH,
Wodisch
Stefan Saliba
Trusted Contributor

Finally I solved it..

Solution:

type itemap -iL to get a list of all combinations.

edit the /etc/kbdlang accordingly

in my case I changed US to UK.

restart CDE and you are set

Good luck

Stefan
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor