Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing email settings

Changing email settings

Hello All

I need to change the email settings. How do i do that on a HP-UX 10.20?? also how do i look for the inbox and retrieve the email.

thanx!
Coffee please ;-)
7 REPLIES
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Changing email settings

It would help to know which email settings you are talking about. Sendmail could have hundreds. The default location for the inboxes is /var/mail. Sendmail is generally configured in /etc/mail/sendmail.cf but you are going to have to be more specific.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
PIYUSH D. PATEL
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Normally it is in /var/mail

Are you using sendmail ???

see man mail
man mailx

Piyush
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

I should add that if you login as a particular user and enter the command 'mail', you should see any mail.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
S.K. Chan
Honored Contributor

If your own email setting the file is in your home directory (.elm/elmrc). Global email config file is in /etc/mail/sendmail.cf. Default location of mailbox is /var/mail/ which elm will read from. To retrieve from a different mailbox location run elm with "-f", example ..
$ elm -f /home/mydir/mytempmbox
PIYUSH D. PATEL
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Issue

# mail -p or -P to read your mails.

Piyush

Yes, the problem is that the mail file is more than 50 mb and I cannot read any mail. Also the server is not sending any mail to the configured addresses. I do need to change the configuration.

You said /etc/mail/sendmail.cf ??
Coffee please ;-)

I need to change the mailserver name... it is wrong and all the mails are bouncing back.

Coffee please ;-)