New Discussion юеВ

Re: Checking Oracle patch version

SOLVED
Go to solution
vip_1
Occasional Contributor

Checking Oracle patch version

Hello,

I applied a patch on my Oracle8i a few weeks ago and I don't remember the patch name and version.
Does anybody know if there is a command to see what was the version of the patch I applied?

Many thanks.
Vip
6 REPLIES 6
Ian Lochray
Respected Contributor
Solution

If you connect to sqlplus the message you get will tell you the version you are on. In my case it displays ...
Connected to:
Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release 8.1.7.3.0 - Production
Ian Lochray
Respected Contributor

Alternatively, you can look at v$instance i.e.
select version from v$instance;
Ian Lochray
Respected Contributor

Alternatively, you can look at v$instance i.e.
select version from v$instance;
Brian Crabtree
Honored Contributor

The v$banner (or sqlplus banner basiclly) will show you database version and patchset version information. However, this will not show you patch information. This information is not stored in the database. Your best option is to define a standard for when/how patches are applied, and where the undo information is kept.

To answer your question though, you can go to $ORACLE_HOME, and run the following command:

find . -name ".*"

this will show you a number of files named like the following:

./lib/.ldiiftz.o.pre2738634_8.1.7.0.0

The "preXXXX" section will tell you what patches are applied to the system. A semi-simple awk script could probably output this information for you.

Hope this helps,

Brian
Indira Aramandla
Honored Contributor

Hi,

One of the ways to find out the exact patchset that was applied to your database successfully, is you can query from props$ table. This table is owner by sys.
Logon as system or sys and select from props$ table. This table has fields like name, values and comments. The name columne NLS_RDBMS_VERSION has the value equilent to the patchset applied to that database.

SQL> select name, value$ from props$;
NAME VALUE$
NLS_RDBMS_VERSION 7.3.4.3.1

Or the other way is you have the log or the readme doc for the patchset that you have in your ORACLE_HOME. This should gove you the patchset version.

Never give up, Keep Trying
twang
Honored Contributor

try this:
select * from v$version;