Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comm Room Notice

Paula J Frazer-Campbell
Honored Contributor

Comm Room Notice

Hi
I am looking for technical information on disallowed equipment in computer rooms.
Some are obvious ? food and drink , but what about mobile phones? radios? Etc.

I know what I wish to include but I need Tech Info to back up my exclusions.

Thanks in advance.

Paula
If you can spell SysAdmin then you is one - anon
6 REPLIES
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

Re: Comm Room Notice

Well I have been told to keep all cell phones away from our EMC disk arrays.

And since I used to work in a hospital, I appreciate that equipment can be affected by cell phones or micro waves placed in too close a proximity.

Regards,
Paula J Frazer-Campbell
Honored Contributor

Rita
Thanks for the disk array info, but I need to back up my exclusions are we dealing with hearsay or is there some real basis on the things we exclude.
The reason I am doing this is because I have developers that take radios and mobile phones into the comms room.

Thanks
If you can spell SysAdmin then you is one - anon
Patrick Wessel
Honored Contributor

Paula,
check the SitePrep guide for your installed sever. You will not find a detailed recomendation, but maybe some argumentation help...
There is no good troubleshooting with bad data
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

My info came from our EMC Systems Engineer. So I take that as reliable.

Like I said, I used to work in a hospital. And cell phones are generally prohibited in hospitals, etc. Microwaves are only allowed in certain areas in many. Here's a url I found that gives some info on the kind of eltromagnetic results of these....it may answer some of your questions. There are others you may want to check out.

http://www.who.int/peh-emf/publications/What_is_EMF/EMF_Internet_Version_Pictures.htm
Robert Gamble
Respected Contributor

Rita,

Please ask your EMC SE to justify his/her statement. My EMC SE is constantly on her cell phone while working on the arrays.
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

Sure thing Robert, I have sent an email requesting anything 'formal' from EMC about this. Should I get something, I'll post.