4425 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Commercial games for HP-UX

gbudny
Advisor

Commercial games for HP-UX

Hi

I want to inform you that Illwinter Game Design was ported Dominions: Priests, Prophets & Pretenders (demo) to HP-UX:

http://www.illwinter.com/dom/downloads.html

Do you know other commercial games ported to HP-UX?

3 REPLIES 3
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

I've never seen a good reason to have any commercial games on HP-UX.

The primary reason is that you are going to have a VERY VERY limited  market.  HP-UX servers, and even workstations when they existed, were not designed with games in mind.  There just aren't going to be that many people wanting to run games on HP-UX.

Also, if the games use graphics, your graphics performance is likely going to be very limited.  

Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

Ha!  I remember that there was a fun car driving simulator that I ran on the old 700 series workstations with HP-UX 9.05 (or so).   I forget the name and the software pack that it came with, but I think it was meant to showcase the graphics abilities of the system.   Might have been a flight sim too...unless Im going back to the Apollo.....

-Bob

----------------
Was this helpful? Like this post by giving me a thumbs up below!
DBurton30
Established Member

I remember an old wire frame multi-player (6 total from what I remember) networked tank game. It was red and looked a lot like Battlezone (without the missiles). A lot of fun to play with the other folks in the office.

Been trying to find it ever since - sigh! I think it was also on the CD the driving game was on. It also had a Missile Command type game and a Backgammon game (hmmmm.... I may have those around someplace).