108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Compaq Armada M700 not recognising my new 40 GB toshiba Harddisk

SOLVED
Go to solution
Alex_367
Advisor

Compaq Armada M700 not recognising my new 40 GB toshiba Harddisk

HI all,iam new in this Forum and i will be so greatfull to have some information inorder to solve my problem.i have a compaq armada M700,intel pentium III 500 MHZ,128 mb RAM,bios last updated on 11/30/99.
problem is that i bought a 40 GB HDD (toshiba
DISK DRIVE MK4025GAS) installed in my notebook but the bios is not recognising it.......becoming an error thats says,non-system disk or disk error.what iam thinking is that propably the bios needs to be updated,but hence updating the bios is risky,want to ask if anybody have an idea of solving this problem without updating the bios,would be so greatfull for any further help...THANKS.
36 REPLIES 36
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor

That error indicates that there is no operating system on the drive.

Did you install Windows on it? It you took out your old drive and put this one in there, you need to install Windows onto the drive.

Good luck,

Vince
No matter where you go, there you are.
Alex_367
Advisor
Solution

first thank you for replying to my question,yeah there is no system on the drive it is brandly new and need to be formatted,but i thought that first it needs to be recognised from the bios and than i install the operating system on it,anyways thats you for your help and i will try what you have said.......and i will come back and say if it had worked.hopefully it will work.......THANKS
ALEX
Alex_367
Advisor

hi again i was willing to assign you points ,but i dont know there is nothing that says ASSIGN Points ,i dont know if that a failure from the site
if you can tell me how to assign you points would be greatfull.....
THANKS
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Alex:

Is your problem solved?

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Omar Senussi
Honored Contributor

Hi Alex, against each response is a dropdown box that you can select the nuimber of points you wish to assign..than at the bottom of the page is a button to submit the points. I hope that helps
If you can keep your head whilst all around you are losing theirs... You haven't understood the situation!
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Alex,
you recorded yourself twice!
To assign point you must enter into indentity had opend this thread.

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Alex_367
Advisor

yes your right i recorded my self twice......cuz i have forgot that i already been registered in this forum anyways thanks for reminding me....ANTONIOV
any ways back to my main PROBLEM.....i have treid many things for solving my problem but still it didnt work...
first i reseted my bios.and now when i reboot the pc the old error(non system disk or disk error) is not coming anymore.
second i tried booting from a windows xp profetional SP1 CD,but its not working ..pc is not booting from the CD...although i checked the bios setting and CD ROM BOOT is set to enable.
third i downloaded windows xp profetinal setup disk on 6 floppy disks...and i treid booting from the floppy disk it worked but it comes to an end where i have to take out the floppy disk drive and put the cd rom drive instead to continue setting up from the CD ROM...but the problem is that the pc is not reading the cd althought iam sure that the cd drive works.........so it says set up can not be completed.
also i treid booting from a normal start disk....it worked......and wanted to format the hard drive from there...cuz its brand new and need to be formated.....i typed FDISK,and FHARD in the prompt.........but it tells me bad command or file name .
i dont know what should i do next i treid doing everything that i know but still didnt get to solve it.............ANY IDEAS GUYS that can help ME!!!!.........THANKS for any further HELP!!!
Alex_367
Advisor

want to add this.....now i restart the pc....and nothing happens,i just get a white blink at the upper left of the monitor....
Omar Senussi
Honored Contributor

Alex,
Could you point us to your original thread please? don't want to go over ground already covered. Looks lkie it wouldn't be a bad idea to upgrade your bios. You can get a plain boot disk for this from http://www.bootdisk.com
If you can keep your head whilst all around you are losing theirs... You haven't understood the situation!