Operating System - Microsoft
1753730 Members
4512 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Compaq Evo D310 - help

Leslie Foster_1

Compaq Evo D310 - help

Don't know if I'm in the right area or not. Greatly appreciate any and all help. Have a Compaq Evo D310 - warranty has expired. My Norton Antivirus program found a worm, I went online to Symantec for information on the worm. Symantec's sight said the disable system restore, update virus definitions, start windows in safe mode. All is good until I tried to start in safe mode. I get a screen that says: windows didn't start successfully - start in safe mode, safe mode in networking, safe mode with command prompt, last known good configuration, start windows normally. No matter what I chose it takes me back to this screen. Can anyone help me?
4 REPLIES 4
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

moved to Microsoft->general forum as I do not know which windows version this is
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
Leslie Foster_1

I'm sorry. I have Microsoft Windows XP Professional on this computer. Thank you!
Omar Senussi
Honored Contributor

Hi Leslie,
Sounds like the little darling has done a number on your machine! If you have the original CD, you could boot it from CD and run a repair option and then try to start in safe mode.
Check the McAfee site for a repair tool if you know the name of the worm.. might try cleaning it up before you repair.
If you can keep your head whilst all around you are losing theirs... You haven't understood the situation!
Leslie Foster_1

We have taken our computer to a technician to work on. He has only had it for about an hour but it pretty sure he can get it up and running without losing any of our data. Thanks to all that have replied to my question.