Configure printer in hp-ux

SOLVED
Go to solution
RogerVI
Regular Advisor

Configure printer in hp-ux

I,
My OS is HP-Ux 11i V1
We have a printer Canon model IR2200-3300 that I want to use for printing in Unix (using lp)
I always use the HP JetDirect Printer Installer for UNIX (hppi) for configuring printers in the spooler.
Due to this printer is not a HP printer, this not appears in the list (The following are supported printer types...).
How I could do to configure this printer? Is there any solution or workaround ? Another way of resolving this issue ?
Thanks in advance.

Roger
4 REPLIES 4
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Configure printer in hp-ux

Normally, non-HP printers are completel incompatible with hppi (JetDirect connections). However, the ImageRunner series do support the JetDirect protocol so you can use the generic net_ljx000 model script. To do this, it is not necessary to run hppi -- just add the printer with addqueue like this:

addqueue -q mylocalprn -h 1.2.3.4 -i 266 -b off -r off -t off

HP does not provide model scripts for non-HP printers but the PCL codes in the net_ljx000 script will match many of the IR2200 capabilities. Use the man page for net_ljx000 to see the options available.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
RogerVI
Regular Advisor

Thanks for you response. I've probed with no result.
Do you know if it is possible to connect a JetDirect print server to the IR2200 ?
Another possibility is to configure a remote printer in the HP-UX. in this case, a server Linux Red Hat is the remote host. This linux server is capable to print without issues. What is your opinion ?
Roger
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

> Thanks for you response. I've probed with no result.

Not sure what 'probed' means. JetDirect uses port 9100 so your should be able to telnet to the printer's address using port 9100:

telnet 1.2.3.4 9100

If it responds (...Connected...Escape character...), then it supports HP JetDirect protocol.

> Do you know if it is possible to connect a JetDirect print server to the IR2200 ?

Yes, as long as there is a USB or Centronics port on the printer.

> Another possibility is to configure a remote printer in the HP-UX. in this case, a server Linux Red Hat is the remote host. This linux server is capable to print without issues. What is your opinion ?

...without issues...
Remote printers are extremely limited as the SysV print spooler does not prep the print job before transmission. So all the options you'd like to use (-oduplex, -olandscape, etc) do not exist. So for printing simple ASCII text is should be fine. Or if you have programs on HP-UX that can format print files in PCL or Postscript, then they should work OK too.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
RogerVI
Regular Advisor

Thanks, with the net_ljx000, I was able to configure the printer queue
Roger