5126 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Configuring DTC Manager

Susan Harris
Occasional Advisor

Configuring DTC Manager

Good Morning,

I have a system now that is using DTC manager. I have never installed or configured it. In the next few weeks, I will be rebuilding another system to take over the one that is presently using DTC. I will need to configure DTC exactly as it is configured on the present system. After install, are there any configuration files that I could copy over to make life easier? What are the important configuration files for DTC?

Thanks,

Sue
4 REPLIES 4
Vincenzo Restuccia
Honored Contributor

Re: Configuring DTC Manager

Try see the attachment.
Fred Martin_1
Valued Contributor

Been there and done that.

Basically you run a dtcexport on the exisiting config, and get the export files over to the other box. Once there, run dtcimport.

One other thing - you need to run dtcown on the new box, so that the DTC's out there know that they have a new machine to look at.

See man dtcexport or dtcmodifyconfs.

In my case the new machine took on the IP address of the old, and the old machine got a new IP address, until it was retired. So while both machines were up it caused some problems, until the dtcown command was run.
fmartin@applicatorssales.com
Rodney Hills
Honored Contributor

It is also important that you keep the same version of DTC manager between to the two computers. Export of an older version of DTC manager is not compatible with a newer.

If that is not possible, you may have to create batch scripts to recreate the configurations. I have used perl to parse output from "dtclist" (run on old system) and have it generate the necessary input to "dtcmodifyconfs" (run on new) to recreate.

Note on dtcown usage- I think after running "dtcown" you still have to power cycle the DTC's for it to take effect.
There be dragons...
Phil Squire
Advisor

DTC's remote boot using the rbootd protocol, so you will need to make sure your target system is running /usr/sbin/rbootd and that this is bound to the correct network driver, /dev/lan*, and that your DTC is on this network. Default behaviour is all lan devices anyway.

Also make sure that the dtcnmd and dtcnmp processes are configured to run. Look at /etc/rc.confing.d/dtcmgr and set START_DTCMGR to 1 if necessary.

Regardless of whether you manage to copy the actual DTC config properly, if you don't have these things running, you won't get your DTC to boot!

Hope this helps. Good luck.
Unix? Is that like Windows? Where's the mouse?