New Discussion юеВ

Re: Configuring the Sendmail without the DNS information

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jun H. Lee
Advisor

Configuring the Sendmail without the DNS information

Dear experts,
I am trying to setup the sendmail on my rx2620 running on HPUX11.23 which work with the MS Exchange server. The e-mail properly routes to the Exchange server when I enter the our internal DNS servers at the DNS Resolver however, when it gets removed (DNS server info) the e-mail does not go out to the Exchange but it just queued in the /var/spool/mqueue.
Is there anyway the sendmail to work without the DNS setup?

Thanks for your recommends.
5 REPLIES 5
Sundar_7
Honored Contributor

Enter the Exchange server hostname in /etc/hosts and associate it with an IP address.

This should match the smart-relay host you have listed in the /etc/mail/sendmail.cf file

# grep "^DS" /etc/mail/sendmail.cf
Learn What to do ,How to do and more importantly When to do ?
Jun H. Lee
Advisor

Sundar,

Thanks for your recommendation, but it does not work even though the DS is set correctly.
Do you have any other suggestion?
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor
Solution

If you want to stop the sendmail DNS lookup, one of the rules of the ruleset 96 should be "commented" in the sendmail.cf file.

Edit the sendmail.cf file and look for the ruleset 96 described as "# pass to name server to make hostname canonical"
R$* < @ $* $~P > $* $: $1 < @ $[ $2 $3 $] > $4

Comment it, save the file and restart the sendmail.

If you run the sendmail in the debug mode ( i.e. -v -d8.99 ), you would see the the exact rule of the ruleset.

With this change, sendmail DNS lookup would be bypassed and the mail is directly passed to "smart host" defined with DS macro.
Jun H. Lee
Advisor

Dear Sameer,

It works perfectly.
Thank you so much.
Jun H. Lee
Advisor

By commenting the DNS lookup line in the sendmail.cf, fixed my problem perfectly.