Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crash Recovery

Timothy DiBenedetto_1
Occasional Advisor

Crash Recovery

Hello,
Could someone please point me to documentation for restore/recovery in the event of hardware crash. Not emergency yet, but there is no recovery plan in house at this time. Pretty scary.
Thank You. Tim.
2 REPLIES
Kofi ARTHIABAH
Honored Contributor

Re: Crash Recovery

Tim, you probably have to develop a detailed Disaster recovery proceedure for your environment based on what you have. However, to assist you, you might want to look a using Ignite-UX (which is free from HP) to create images of your servers http://www.software.hp.com/products/IUX/index.html

The scariest thing that can happen is when one of your hard drives dies - in that case, you would have to recover from backups. If other harware fails (I find these are rare) you would just replace the part and keep going :)

I would suggest the following:

1. Have a hardware support contract with HP (that way when something goes wrong, they can come in and replace the part)
2. Take an inventory of all your equipment;
3. Use ignite to create bootable disaster recovery tapes
4. Use nightly backups to back up your data
5. In the event of a hardware failure, you get HP (or your hardware support) to replace the part, restore your ignite image; and restore your data from normal backups ... ahem - a typical recovery takes just 4 hours !!! And you do not have to remember what the sizes of your logical volumes were...

Good luck
nothing wrong with me that a few lines of code cannot fix!
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Crash Recovery

Tim:

A very good thread asking essentially the same question has some very good guidelines. See:

http://my1.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,1150,0xf299c3d7fb78d4118fef0090279cd0f9,00.html

Good Luck!

...JRF...