1748195 Members
3437 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Creating Host names???

Kev_8
Occasional Contributor

Creating Host names???

Could someone please tell me How do i create a host name so that i can run SQL*PLUS on my PC (locally)? I am using Oracle client version???

Thanx
4 REPLIES 4
Graham Cameron_1
Honored Contributor

Not sure what you want to do.

Without a database somewhere, SQLPLUS won't do very much at all.

You can start it up connectionless with "sqlplus /nolog", and then use "connect" to connect to a database.

Do you have a database on your PC, or on a server?
If not, you need one.
-- Graham
Computers make it easier to do a lot of things, but most of the things they make it easier to do don't need to be done.
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi,

you need to give sqlplus a hostname, so it knows, which host to contact for a connect to a database. This host must be configured for example by netmgr or metasst. Then you can try tnsping to check the communication and sqlplus user@host for connect.

Does that give you an idea?

Michael

Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi,
Do you mean a tnsname entry? so that you can connect to a database?
-
please clarify.
-
thanks
Yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
R. Allan Hicks
Trusted Contributor

I assume from your other question about using oracle locally that you want to name and/or determine the hostname for your pc.

Assuming that you are running windows 2000....

Right click my computer.
Select properties
Select Network Identification

Leave the host string blank and sqlplus will connect if you are in the correct oracle home.

If should default to the local machine and go through the bequeth adapter (I know bequeth still works on HPUX).

If you insist on connecting through oracle*Net, don't forget to start the listener from your control panel>administrative tools>services
"Only he who attempts the absurd is capable of achieving the impossible