1753717 Members
4686 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Cursor going mad

Ronald Postma
Honored Contributor

Cursor going mad

A customer of my company got a strange problem, she has a compaq EVO, with the newest drivers.
She has WinXPSP1 and OfficeXP (do not know if she installed SP1 or 2)
When she types in Word, Excel or Outlook the cursor sudden jumps a few lines up and you begin to type there, now I find that very odd.

do you have any sugestions, ideas, or heard this before,

Tnx. Ronald
The logic of Microsoft: "Press START to shut down the pc"
7 REPLIES 7
webdude
Advisor

try to remove the keyboard Quick acces drivers.
if they are installed (i had similar strange behavior)
Drue Pautz

Sorry, I have no solution for you, but I know someone experiencing a similar problem. They have a HP Pavillon a305w and have been on technical support for the last 3 days. Every 10 seconds or so there's a visible blink. The problem is in programs (such as Quicken) the cursor jumps to the first tab item on the page. Also, if he's in the process of entering something when the blink happens, it goes back to square one. Also, windows pop-up and drop down menus (right-click, etc) close out when the flash happens. This results in having to be extremely quick to get anything accomplished.

So far, HP Support has had him do everything from disable almost every startup item (including kbd and ps2.exe), do a reinstall and they're last recommendation is a destructive restore. I spent the better part of last weekend helping to get all his business data on the computer so this would invalidate about 12 hours of my life.

Any help is appreciated. The problem is intermitent and after doing some changes, there is sometimes a few minute lag where the problem does not appear making diagnosing and testing it difficult.
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi,

do you have and someone else in your vicinity have a wireles mouse?

have fun

Michael
Drue Pautz

Heh... no... that's a good idea. But this is a wired mouse and no real neighbor.
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi Drue,

a collgue in my office just last week showed me a wildly acting cursor, selecting text and moving here and there and it was the wireless mouse one room next. ;-)

but since your mouse is wired!

A dying battery in wireless mice also can produce strange results!

have fun,

Michael
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

Does this only happen with Office products or do you see it in notepad or IE (like filling in this form)?

There is an issue with Macromedia which sounds similar:

http://www.macromedia.com/support/flash/ts/documents/scroll_reset.htm

So I would remove any Macromedia products. I would also get Spybot Search and Destroy and run it and let it remove everything it finds. If you ran Turbotax last year you will see it flag cdilla. Don't remove it but instead go into Services and disable it.

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,22262,00.asp

Make sure you have it search for upgrades and then choose a US mirror site for the upgrade download before running it.

I assume you have tried a new mouse?

Ron
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

I found a joke program which does pretty much the same thing. You would think support would have found it tho but perhaps it really is hidden. Called mousemove.exe

Product Description
Mouse Move is a hidden computer prank that move the users mouse cursor to random positions on the screen. Imagine trying to send an email to someone and your mouse cursor kept on moving to the left and up, that would freak you out!

"With the command line option of 'setup' you can configure a variety of options for Mouse Move within one easy to use interface. You can specify the interval of time between each move, the amount of space to move the cursor and in which direction. By default Mouse Move starts hidden, with no user interface, that way it is great for emailing to your friends! Mouse Move is free and ready for you to download."

"How to Close
Move your mouse cursor to the TOP LEFT corner of the screen. A splash screen will be displayed letting you know the program was closed. "

Ron