1753975 Members
7183 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DAT 40 DDS4 TAPE DRIVE

Carlito  Abu

DAT 40 DDS4 TAPE DRIVE

Hello,
I have a tapeDrive DAT40 DDS4 with an OS WINDOWS 2000PROF.
I have been getting error message Media Full and additi-tional media not available.I copy one CD and create this cd in one Icon up to 24GB Capacity.I'LL try to backup this 24GB to the Tape DAT40.When I reached 17GB to backup, it stops and give me error. I've been using Adaptec card AHA-2940UW ver.2.57.2 bios.I've have two
sets of Tape DAT40 and I'm using DDS4 Tape 40GB compressed capacity. Can you please help me to find solution and give me some advice.Thanks in advance.

Carlito I. Abu
3 REPLIES 3
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Re: DAT 40 DDS4 TAPE DRIVE

Carlito,
natively (without compression) you can back up only 20GB of data. You're getting 17GB. Then there're only a few cases:
1. tape drive is not good. It treats some tape areas as bad and thus skipping them backing up les than 20GB. This issue depends on how long you use this drive and how ofter you clean its heads;
2. tapes are bad. See (1), but tape is really bad. Try another HP DDS4 MRS tape;
3. you're backing up already compressed data (mp3, pdf, zip etc) with drive's hardware compression turned on OR you have both drive's hardware and backup utility software compressions turned on. This has the same effect if you'll try compressing any file twice - data will even grow in its size. To avoid this try tuning off drive's data compression (and maybe BU software compression) and see if it will backup more data.
Check drive and tapes with HP LTT utility http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/storageworks/ltt/index.html - run some tests, including data compression test. Generate support ticket for the drive and look to LTT's recommendations and notes
Eugeny
Carlito  Abu

Hi Eugeny;
Thanks for your reply. Can you give us details on how we can check if the hardware compression is on or off.Is it physically in hardware with jumper setting?Thanks
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Please use HP LTT (see link in my previous reply), generate support ticket and you'll see hardware compression state in it. In addition you can run drive compression test
Eugeny