1753283 Members
5313 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DAT 70GB ON PROLIANT ML CRASH SERVER

Andrea Elli

DAT 70GB ON PROLIANT ML CRASH SERVER

Hi, i've this problem on a Proliant server with RH 9:
when i try to backup data, red light turn on on light display of the server, and, when it try to start, the server crash and stop all functions. HP support says that RH 9 is not compliant with this machine. I can't belive that. I think it's hw problem. Somone have the same problem?

Thanks in advance.
Andrea
5 REPLIES 5
xyko_1
Esteemed Contributor

Re: DAT 70GB ON PROLIANT ML CRASH SERVER

Hi Andrea,

did you see if there is any message on /var/log/messages ?

Do you know mt ?

Did you tried to use the dat with mt (mt /dev/stx status) and see if some error message appears on /var/log/messages ?

Please, give us some more informations.

regards,
xyko
Andrea Elli

The problem is the system blocked. I don't know how to do. Hp support tell me to try to install RH 8 instead of RH 9; but i've a mail server, dhcp server web server on this machine. How to do??
Thanks again.

Andrea
xyko_1
Esteemed Contributor

Andrea,

if you don't have any error message on your /var/log/messages just before your system hangs , if HP tells you that it will not support your hardware with RH9 and if you can't reinstall your system with RH8, you have a big problem.

I suggest you a workaround. If you have another linux machine (or unix, or ... windows...) you may "export" the file systems (directories) that you want to backup to that target server and make a backup over the network.
If the remote machine will be a *nix/linux machine you may use nfs, if the machine will be a windows one, you will have to use samba.
I know that it's not a good solution but it's the only thing I can suggest by now. If you decide to take that way, schedulle your backup to a moment that does not bring any trafic problem to your lan.

Hope it helps you.
Xyko
Andrea Elli

Xyko thanks for your help. But i'd like to HP change the tape because the server has only one month! WARRANTY!!! I want to try this change before re-install with RH 8.

I call back HP and i try again. I let you know the story.

Thanks again.

Andrea
xyko_1
Esteemed Contributor

Good luck.

Xyko