4055 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DDS3 an d UX11

GE CompuNet (Einfeldt)
Occasional Advisor

DDS3 an d UX11

Hello,

can someone advise me how to create an dds3- devicefile in UX11 ? All i found is dds2....

Thanks in advance
6 REPLIES 6
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: DDS3 an d UX11

Hi:

If the hardware is installed, then an ioscan should create the device file automatically.

...JRF...
GE CompuNet (Einfeldt)
Occasional Advisor

..... sure, but only the "standard"- files.
I have seen better troughput with DDS2- devicefile vs. 0m. May be there is much more troughput with DDS3- devicefiles than DDS2.

Regards
John Palmer
Honored Contributor

Good question. I presume that you found the DDS1 and DDS2 information in 'man 7 mt'. Do you want to specifically write DDS-3 format tapes on a DDS-4 drive?

I suspect that the drive will do that anyway if you use a DDS-3 format tape.

The BEST device files (or the ?m links) will do the best job. The DDS options are for writing older tape formats.

What are you trying to achieve?
Thomas Schler_1
Trusted Contributor

Creating a DDS3 device file can be done by the following command:

mksf -C tape -d stape -H -b DDS3 -n /dev/rmt/c?t?d?DDS3n

can be retrieved from the ioscan output.
The option -n is used to create a non-rewinding device file. Leave out -n to create a second (rewinding) device file.
/dev/rmt/c?t?d?DDS3n is just a proposal. Replace the question marks by the proper values. You'll get the proper values from the device files that were already created and used by the system.

This works on HPUX 10.20. It should also work on HPUX 11.x. Check the man page of 'mksf' to see if I am right.

Of course, you should use the DDS3 device file only if you have a DDS3 or DDS4 drive.
no users -- no problems
John Palmer
Honored Contributor

Unfortunately, mksf will not accept DDS3 as an argument on HP-UX 11.00 nor do the man pages mention it. DDS2 and DDS1 are acceptable.
Shannon Petry
Honored Contributor

I agree and second the motion that the devices are already their. From my DDS3 and DDS4's, I never created a device which is specific, and still get usually better than MFR recommended capacity with the standard devices. /dev/rmt/c?t?d?BESTnb works fine, because the hardware dictates the end of media, and not the UNIX device. The hardware also handles the compression, physical block sizes. Unix only handles the logical block sizes. As long as you are using DDS3 tapes in your DDS3 drive, and DDS4 tapes in your DDS4 drives you are fine.

Take this the next step. Did you have different devices for your DDS2 120meter tapes than you did with your DDS2 60meter tapes? How about that, you still had a capacity difference! This is because the Hardware dictates much more than the device file.

The only place it may make a difference is in a backup app, like OmniBack, Legatto, etc... where tape sizes are used for a multitude of reasons, but usually Estimating capacity" Even these must bow to the almighty hardware. I.E. I tell Omniback that my DLT8000 tapes are 120GB. Usually they end at 60-70GB and Omniback shows the tapes at full. If I tell Omniback that they are 20GB, it will only write 20GB and say the tape is full. :)

Best regards,
Shannon
Microsoft. When do you want a virus today?