New Discussion юеВ

Re: DDS3 installation on K420

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ahmad Munawwar
Frequent Advisor

DDS3 installation on K420

Hi,

I require an assistant (procedure) to replace existing internal DDS3 tape drive with a new DDS3 tape drive on K420. We just suspect the existing DDS3 tape drive is faulty. My system running on HP-UX 10.2. As we don't have support maintenance with HP anymore, I have to replace the tape drive by myself, would appreciate if you can give me detail procedure to replace this hardware as I never done it before?

Regards,
Munawwar
13 REPLIES 13
Rajeev  Shukla
Honored Contributor
Solution

I guess its an internal DDS3 tape drive.
First is Shutdown the system. Open the front cover, you'll see the drive and the screws attached to the metal base.
Unscrew the metal base and the whole unit, including internal disk can be pulled out then.
Remove the tape and see the SCSI ID. Set the same SCSI ID for this new DDS3 drive and connect back.
There you are after everything is put back in power on the system.

Cheers
Rajeev
James Murtagh
Honored Contributor

Hi Munawwar,

I'm not sure what detailed procedure you need. If there is nothing else connected down that scsi bus I would be tempted just to disconnect the DAT drive and connect the other one. If you do this just make sure no processes, i.e. scheduled backups are not taking places. If you want to be extra careful just power down the server and connect the new device and reboot. All the drivers are obviously in the kernel and the OS will create the device files as required.

Regards,

James.
Ahmad Munawwar
Frequent Advisor

Hi James & Rajeev,

Such easy, I thought I have to go through a lots of configuration. What sort of precaution should I observe before replace the hardware beside those you mentioned.

Basically, the following the procedure I compiled from yours:

1. Shutdown the system
# shutdown -h

2. Power down the server.

3. Open the front cover, you'll see the drive and the screws attached to the metal base.

4. Unscrew the metal base and the whole unit, including internal disk can be pulled out then.

5. Remove the tape and see the SCSI ID. Set the same SCSI ID for this new DDS3 drive and connect back.

6. Power off the server

No kernel or hp-ux configurtaion needed as all the drivers are obviously in the kernel and the OS will create the device files as required. Is right?

7. Verify the system can read the tape drive.
# /usr/sbin/ioscan -C tape -fun

anymore command to verify this?

Is there any consequences, the system could not find the new tape drive? what to do?

Regards
Munawwar

Ahmad Munawwar
Frequent Advisor

Sorry, point no 6 should power up the system.
Erich Huebner_1
Occasional Advisor

I might add be very careful with the ribbon cable when reinserting the drive cage. I've seen this get damaged many of times.
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

I would make sure that I had a backup of the entire system and an Ignite make_tape_recovery tape or 2 if possible. If your DDS drive is bad then that may be difficult, I guess.

Your steps sounds reasonable.

If you want to verify that the system sees the tape drive before bringing it all the way up you can interrupt the boot process at the "Press any key within 10 seconds prompt" and then at the next prompt just type in 'SEA' (without the single quotes of course) and see if the tape drive shows up. It will show up as a Sequential Access Device, or something to that effect.

If you hook everything backup just like it was when you install the new drive, you should have no problems. Just make sure all the cables, both SCSI and power, on the internal disk drives (if there are any), the CD-ROM and the new tape drive are connected and seated well.

This procedure isn't all that difficult on the K box, just a pain because of the way these boxes were built.

Good luck.
James Murtagh
Honored Contributor

Hi Munawwar,

Your procedure looks fine. Aparently you should "ground" yourself using electrostatic devices for this procedure, although I have never found this to be necessary, some HP contracts require this to be done!

As for what you should do to confirm all is ok? Using ioscan, make sure all devices are claimed, additionally use "lssf /dev/rmt/Xmt" to check the device. This is all pretty standare stuff though, you should have no problems.

Regards,

James.
Rajeev  Shukla
Honored Contributor

Hi Munawwar,

Ya your steps are fine to go ahead just take care of 2 things.

1. You wear an antstatic band or ground your self before you touch the drive.

2. When pulling the metal base(where you'll see drive and internal disks) be carefull and dont pull it too much, coz the SCSI cable inside is not too big and you might break the cable. So be carefull and pull the base only till the cable allows.

Good luck.

Rajeev
Ahmad Munawwar
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

Thals a lot. Your recommendation bring up my level of confidence. But now I'm little bit worry about ignite make_tape_recovery just in case something goes wrong..emmm. Can I do it over the network?

Regards,
Munawwar