1752805 Members
5666 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL360

John Rowan_2
Regular Advisor

DL360

I have a Proliant DL360 G1 that is ideal for an email server. I'm upgrading my customer's dual 400Mhz Gateway (ALR) server to the DL360 (dual 1.2Ghz). The machine is scheduled to go into service in April so it's sitting in my office until the renovations are complete in his new location. The strange thing is that every evening at 19:00 EST the machine starts itself. I looked at the system configuration and saw that Automatic Server Recovery was turned on but there was nothing in any settings about 19:00. I turned ASR off and will check it tonight. Can someone tell me if the ASR being on was why the machine would start itself?

4 REPLIES 4
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Re: DL360

ASR gets "armed" when the HP hardware monitoring drivers are loaded. After that, the hardware monitoring driver keeps resetting the ASR hardware timer back to the initial value (10 minutes by default).

If the OS is hung or so severely loaded that the HW monitoring driver can no longer function, the ASR timer is not reset and keeps counting down. If the ASR timer reaches zero, it will trigger a hard reboot.

(A controlled shutdown of the hardware monitoring driver will automatically "disarm" ASR.)

If you have the "hpimlview" tool installed (comes with the hardware monitoring driver package), you can view the hardware log. It will explicitly list all ASR events.

If the hardware monitoring driver is not installed, the ASR timer should never get armed and thus do nothing at all.

What happens in your office at 19:00 EST, in terms of electricity? This sounds like a classic case of a person powering up a heavy-duty floor cleaning device, causing a brief brown-out.

MK
MK
John Rowan_2
Regular Advisor

Strangely, absolutely nothing happens at 19:00, no power surges from heavy equipment, no cleaning crew, NOTHING. But it's like clockwork that the DL360 powers itself up, at 19:01 I hear the beep after POST and toggle my KVM to that position to see it booting. No one walked passed the machine, no remote insight board, it's spooky.

Heironimus
Honored Contributor

If the server is off and turns itself on, your problem has nothing to do with ASR. ASR is meant to automatically reset an already-running system when it hangs. This sounds more like an automatic wake-up is set in the BIOS.
John Rowan_2
Regular Advisor

The server is off, orange light on power supply indicator. At 19:00 it wakes up, turns itself on. This is a dual 1.2GHz unit. Directly below it is a dual 800Mhz unit, same orange indicator on power availablity, does not turn itself on. I'm stumped.