108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380 G4 Linux System Management Software

Malik Perera
Occasional Contributor

DL380 G4 Linux System Management Software

Hi,
I have DL380 G4 server running Ubuntu 9.04
I wanted to install system management software to monitor the server and disk array etc.
I can see Ubuntu version available only for DL380 G5 and DL380 G4 got only Redhad and Suse Linux.
Could I install G5 Ubuntu version for G4? Any body try this or known to work?
Thank you,
4 REPLIES 4
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

hi,

i will not recomend to do it, maybe the installation will be sucessfull, but the system could be unstable.

mikap
Daniel Frazier
Frequent Advisor

This has not been tested by HP and is not supported, but I don't know any reason it wouldn't work. The software to work with the legacy iLO in G4 is still present. Feel free to try it, I'd just recommend doing so on a non-production server until you've demonstrated stability.
Malik Perera
Occasional Contributor

Thank you,
Well look like no body try this. At the moment sevrer at production but 2 -3 months time I have to reinstall Linux. Then I will give it a try.
MaNU ESCaR

Hi,

my little experiences about HP management software on non-supported distro is more about SuSE Enterprise Server vs OpenSuSE but it applies to ubuntu quite the same way : be really carefull with kernel modules like iTCO_??? , watchdogs, lm_sensors and openIPMI things as they could/would drive your system really unstable when using the open-source (non-HP) stuff.

I've ended blacklisting those kernel modules to prevent any problems : ipmi_si, ipmi_msghandler, iTCO-wdt, iTCO_vendor_support.

You're quite safe with HP's snmp stuff.

I've managed to install the whole drivers/admin stuff for SusE Linux Ent. Server 9 on OpenSuSE 9.3 by hacking the /etc/SuSE-release but finally ended with uninstalling the whole thing as it brings more headhache than real benefits.

a set of home-made small bash scripts with cron and using syslog may be enough.

You may also enable the NMI sourcing capability of the hpwdt.ko kernel module to work ( see http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/watchdog/hpwdt.txt ) which could be of great interest; this one (stock kernel one) seems to work really stable in my case (ML350-G3, G5 and G6 on kernels 2.6.25.20 and 2.6.31.5)

Unless you have ten's of servers running, you may think that small is beautifull when it comes to monitoring ;-)

Hope it helped,
Best Regards.