108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380 G5 & SLES 10 x86_64 SP1 issues

Toan_Nguyen
Occasional Advisor

DL380 G5 & SLES 10 x86_64 SP1 issues

Hi guys,

I think someboby might help me with that,

my German customer is testing SLES 10 SP1 x86_64 on a DL380 G5 (2 QuadCore & 16GB). During their testings some issues appeared:

1.) server couldn't be rebooted because shutdown didn't finished --> server had be powered off and then on again

Following situation:
- if he starsts SLES 10 with "HP modifications" (see bootmenu.jpg in word doc; option 3) --> everything is OK --> system can be shutdowned savely
- if he starts the standard SLES 10 SP1 kernel (see bootmenu.jpg; option 1) --> system hangs and has to be shutdowned hard --> see attached screenshot from iLO-window
- he also deployed ProLiant Support Pack on that machine!

2.)during starting up the system --> bootloader couldn't be found --> so SLES couldn't be loaded

Are there any other known issues with the installation of SLES10 on ProLiants??

If you need any log-files, please let me know.

Many thanks

Toan
3 REPLIES 3
~sesh
Esteemed Contributor

Grub seems to be loading fine. Are you able to boot into any of the two above options? If you are, then you would just need to change the kernel image location (/boot/grub/menu.lst or so).

It should look something like:
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.7 root=/dev/hda1

Where vmlinuz-2.6.7 is the kernel file name on your system.
Toan_Nguyen
Occasional Advisor

To point 1.):

In this case he could load SLES 10 eihter with boot option 1 ("HP modifications" ) or boot option 3 ("standard SLES 10 SP1 kernel ".
The problem is: whenever he boots with option 1 --> server could not be shutdown gracefully, server had to be power off and then on
--> both screenshots only refer to point 1.)

To point 2.)
In this case he could not start SLES at all, indepedent from point 1.)

Thanks
Toan
~sesh
Esteemed Contributor

This can be because of any processes (daemons) or drivers. Check if all the required drivers are installed for the server. Especially things like IPMI drivers.

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/27596.html

The issue with shutdown or reboot has been discussed in the context of RedHat elsewhere in the forums. Check Matti Kurkela's response.

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1181278