Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DLT 80e tape configuration

Wing Kiong Chang
Occasional Visitor

DLT 80e tape configuration

Hi,

I have a A-class server running HP-UX 11.0
I have connected up my DLT 80e tape drive to a Ultra2 SCSI interface. After a shutdown and restart, using SAM or ioscan does not seem to recognise the DLT tape.

I'm sure that there is no conflict in SCSI ID (5) for the tape drive. The tape drive is powered up.

So do I need to install any drivers before the system can recognise the DLT drive ?

I would appreciate if someone can answer my question.

Thanks,
wing
4 REPLIES
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor

Re: DLT 80e tape configuration

Hi,

Can you attch /post your ioscan -fn output.

do you have stape driver configured into the kernel.

Hope this helps.

Regds
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

You need to add stape to the kernel, but like Sanjay suggested you should attach an "ioscan -fn".

Also, when the drive is recongized physically, then do an "insf -e" to get the device files built.

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Wing Kiong Chang
Occasional Visitor

Hi guys,

Thanks for the pointers. I solved the problem.
I think did not lie with the stape drivers since it was added via sam. But learning about stape drivers is good fun.

I think the problem has got to do with the sequence of devices powered up. So all peripheral devices must be powered up first before the server is powered up.

Here is another question. What is the difference between stape and stape2 ? Does one have better performance than the other ?

regards,
wing
Frank Slootweg
Honored Contributor

(As far as I know,) There is no stape2 driver. You probably mean tape2 (no "s").

The tape2 driver is for a different type of *internal* bus. tape2 is for the NIO/HP-PB bus. stape is for the HSC/GSC bus. Since a particular interface is for a particular type of internal bus, you can not choose which driver to use. So if the device is currently using the stape driver and working, then that is the correct driver for that interface.