New Discussion юеВ

Re: DP 6 with a HPUX 11i SG package FS failures

Richard A. Preugschat
Occasional Advisor

DP 6 with a HPUX 11i SG package FS failures

Status details:
HPUX 11i DP 6 cell server
HPUX 11i SG cluster running six packages

OK, my problem/issue I have a HPUX 11i SG cluster running six packages, all packages backup fine except one package.

Each package has say roughly 6-10 file systems attached via a SAN/EVA, as stated five packages/DP clients backup OK, on the failing client, I have say 15 files systems varying in size from 10GB to 100GB, only four FSs backup OK, its appears to be not volume size dependant.

What I have checked;
1. I have tried to backup a failing FS from failing package on a non-failing package, this FS backup still fails.
2. The failure is repeatable, DP backup session just stops and hangs/times out, no errors in DP log.

I am perplexed by this fail mode; any help/pointers would be appreciated.

Regards...

Richard
3 REPLIES 3
Luc Minnaert
Respected Contributor

since you could narrow it down to one particular filesystem,
why don't you create a job, say HeySucker, and put this in full debug mode via commandline to overcome useless debug logs of other activity.

#omnib -datalist HeySucker -debug 1-400 WatsUp.txt
Richard A. Preugschat
Occasional Advisor

OK, thanks for the DP command example.

I ran a backup in debug mode and the failing backups on the SG package FS seem to be because of 'dead' sym links. Watching the backup run, it hits a directory with a few dozen sym links to /net/dead host/file system/blah* and immediately stops flowing data to the drive while each sym link times out.

Each sym link takes a number seconds to solve/time out, as can be seen in the error log. This I guess continues until the DP session timeouts altogether and then the DP session fails, also holds up the queuing DP sessions and drive usage.

I don't remember seeing DP fail like this before, and lots of other servers will have dead links on them.

So why is this FS DP session failing while others don't?
Does anyone know how to stop DP from trying to stat every sym link?

* The 'dead host' is no longer in the DNS lookup; it is a retried/decommissioned server.
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>Does anyone know how to stop DP from trying to stat every symlink?

Any reason you don't just remove those bogus symlinks?
I had this happen with "ll -F" and after N times, I finally nuked them.