Operating System - Microsoft
1748140 Members
3455 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DV4030US Takes a long time to show first screen when boot up

Martin Navarro

DV4030US Takes a long time to show first screen when boot up

Whenever I move may laptop from my office to home or viceversa and turn it up, it takes some times a very long time to ask for the driver lock password. The HDD lighs blinks for a while and then it takes some time to start the boot process.
I notice that if I lift it up or move it while its trying to start, it cames up more faster.
Any clue where to began the check?
6 REPLIES 6
Gary Cooper_1
Esteemed Contributor

Re: DV4030US Takes a long time to show first screen when boot up

When you say the 'driver lock' password, do you mean the BIOS password before the machine has started booting the OS? If you do, then make sure you're using the latest BIOS - http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?lc=en&cc=ukтМй=en&os=228&product=459481&dlc=en&softwareitem=ob-41099-1

You can find the other latest updates for your macheine here - http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?lc=en&cc=uk&dlc=en&product=459481тМй=en&os=228 assoming it's XP.

Regards,

Gary
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Martin:

It sounds like it may be too hot. Does the case feel hot to the touch? Are you placing it on a hard surface with plenty of clearance for ventilation? try setting up an external fan as a test.

Make a great day!

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Martin Navarro

Thank you both for your answers.

Roger, it happends only after a cold boot (when I finish my job and go bak home) and in the mornings at office) and actually I place my laptop in may desktop (home and office) so it has plenty of ventilation.

To answer to Gary, yes, you assume right in both cases, I meaned the bios password beffore it bootsand Im using Windows XP. Ill try the bios update I will let you know budies.

What is weird is that it I "shake it" a little it wakes up.... weird ah?
Gary Cooper_1
Esteemed Contributor

It could be that the watchdog has gone to sleep and by shaking it you've woken him up :)

Let us know how you get on.

Have a good week-end.

Regards,

Gary
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

Sounds more like you are shaking something loose within your laptop during transport.

Try the following (with the laptop turned off) before you attempt to update the BIOS:

Reseat and clean the contacts on your
Battery, memory and Harddisk.

The contacts can be cleaned with a pencil eraser if you don't have cleaning fluid.

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda
Martin Navarro

Already check that also Jon, thks.

I cleaned up contacs on memory modules,, wireless modules, bathery and hardisk.

It seems to me that its the hard disk what is causing the problem, thoug I run a bios harddisk check and everything is fine with it.

regards