108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DVD-RAM on B2000 running HP-UX 10.20

SOLVED
Go to solution
John Broussard
Occasional Contributor

DVD-RAM on B2000 running HP-UX 10.20

I would like to use a DVD-RAM drive for file backup on our new B2000 workstation. I have done a little experimentation using HP-UX and the drive. A disk in the DVD-RAM drive showed up under SAM, and I was able to create a logical volume and a file system on it and to mount it. However, attempting a file copy to the disk proved disastrous (file copy would not cancel, a restart was required).

I have had success with a third party utility called MagnaVault from Tracer Technologies, which uses their own file system for reading and writing to the drive. However, if possible, I would prefer to stick with native HP-UX tools.

Any help that could be provided regarding native HP-UX tools or other third party utilities would be greatly appreciated.
2 REPLIES 2
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: DVD-RAM on B2000 running HP-UX 10.20

John:

The best (my opinion) file-backup utility (and it's free) for HP-UX in fbackup/frecover. See the man pages for a description and do a search in the Knowledge Base and in this forum for some recent threads on optimizing it. fbackup was designed to allow backups while the system is in use. You can easily do incremental and/or complete backups. A graph (file) allows you to include and/or exclude files and/or directories.

...JRF...
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: DVD-RAM on B2000 running HP-UX 10.20

DVD-RAM is not a simple disk. Checkout eMedia magazine or other sources on the net concerning CDROM, CD-R, CD-RW and DVD-RAM and you'll notice that the formats and special setups (ie, SCSI control commands) are quite complex. You'll need special software that supports DVD-RAM on HP-UX to make this work. HP-UX has no built-in support for writing and CD or DVD disc.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin