1753871 Members
7471 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Data Recovery in Oracle

Jim Rogers_1
Occasional Contributor

Data Recovery in Oracle

I have a user who deleted records from a table two weeks ago and now needs them back. How can I recover these?

I am running Oracle 8.06.
3 REPLIES 3
Thierry Poels_1
Honored Contributor

Re: Data Recovery in Oracle

Hi,

kind of difficult to answer in just a few lines, not?

- first, do you have a backup of two weeks ago? ;)
- if you have an export of the concerning table, you could import the table to another user, and copy the missing records to the production table
- without an export you can perhaps restore the database to another location and copy the missing records to the production database (database link or export/import)
-- if it's a large database, you could perhaps restore just part of the database : redo, temp, rollback, system and tablespace containing the table, and put all missing tablespace offline before opening the database.
- if you really have no space for duplicating (part of) the database: backup current database, restore old backup, export (part of) table, restore last backup, import missing records.

anyhow, watch your steps ;-)
good luck,
Thierry.
All unix flavours are exactly the same . . . . . . . . . . for end users anyway.
Andreas D. Skjervold
Honored Contributor

Hi

This is the reason for running exports in parallell with a backup.

Without a export from before the deletion time You'll need to make the painstakingly effort of:
-Backup your database
-Restore the database to Point In Time just previuos to the deletion time.
-Export the table in question.
-Restore the original database.
-Import the missing table into a temoprary schema.
-Select the rows in question for insert into the original table.

I belive Oracle9i comes with a new utility "Log Miner" that can be used for backtracking thru the redologs and possibly reconstruct the disasterous sql, but I realy have no knowledge of its functions.

Andreas

Only by ignoring what everyone think is important, can you be aware of what everyone ignores!
Krishna Prasad
Trusted Contributor

If you have a another machine you can do the restore on.

You could restore the database in that environment then extract the data and add it to the production server.

Just an idea
Positive Results requires Positive Thinking