1752777 Members
5879 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Database Creation

Shabbir Shaikh

Database Creation

Hi,

I have following files in .d format and i have to create database with that files.

-rw-r----- 1 root sys 173 Mar 5 11:48 nar_cmmt.d
-rw-r----- 1 root sys 791 Mar 5 11:48 xb2_ctrl.d
-rw-r----- 1 root sys 179 Mar 5 11:48 xb2_dlya.d
-rw-r----- 1 root sys 180 Mar 5 11:48 xb2_dlyc.d
-rw-r----- 1 root sys 179 Mar 5 11:48 xb2_errl.d
-rw-r----- 1 root sys 177 Mar 5 11:48 xx_ref_e.d
5 REPLIES 5
Ben Dehner
Trusted Contributor

This type of ".d" file looks like Progress data definition data files. Is this a Progress database?
Trust me, I know what I'm doing
Shabbir Shaikh

Yes

It is Progress83d
Ben Dehner
Trusted Contributor

Assuming that you are following the standard Progress naming conventions, you're missing the schema definition.

In Progress, the .d files are data export files. These file types only contain the table data, not the table definitions. You also need a .df schema definition file. This file defines the table structure, indexes, sequences and so forth. The basic procedure to create the Progress database would be:

1) create the empty database:
prodb mydb empty

2) import the data definitions from the .df file:
_progres -1 mydb
Tools -> Data Dictionary
Admin -> Load Data and Definitions -> Data Definitions (.df file)
-- here you would specify the .df file that you apparently don't have

3) now load your data:
_progres -1 mydb
Tools -> Data Dictionary
Admin -> Load Data and Definitions -> Table Contents (.d file)
-- now you would load the data for each one of the .d files that you do have

Without the .df file, you're out of luck. While it would be possible to create a database and manually build the tables to load the data, presumably that there is an application that references specific column names and/or indexes that you won't know.

Incidentally, you haven't mentioned what version of HP-UX you are running. Progress 8 was de-supported long ago, and I'm not sure that it will run on HP-UX 11i. In addition, Progress did not support anything on Itanium until version 10.
Shabbir Shaikh

Hi,

I m not able to load .d file from table contents, actually it is not highlighted.
After Data Definition cursor directly goes to SQL View.

Thanks & Regards
Shabbir
Ben Dehner
Trusted Contributor

The table definitions must be in the database before loading the contents. If you haven't loaded a definitions (DF) file, you can't load the data. Do you have a definitions file, and is it loaded? Try dumping the data definitions and see if it produced any output. Or if it will let you.