New Discussion юеВ

Debian 3.0 on a B180L

SOLVED
Go to solution
Kelli Ward
Trusted Contributor

Debian 3.0 on a B180L

Hi all,
I have installed Debian 3.0 on a B180L system.
Over all it runs well (slow with 96Mb of RAM though) but I noticed a possible issue while configuring basic networking.

I was not able to use any ipchains commands except ipchains -L and recieved a rather ominous error to the effect of "not compatible with this kernel" This to me sounds as though I will not be able to configure firewall. Can anyone confirm this? Or has anyone found a work around. I didn't find anything usefull on the PA-Risc sites.

Other things to note:
Set your color depth (Xserver settings) to 8 bit or your desktop environment will not run.
(Can also be set in the color depth option in the XF86config-4 file.)

Install program has an annoying screensaver. Do not hit enter to deactivate it or you might also return carriage the install screen behind it and choose an option you might not have wanted and couldn't see.

I run multiple systems off a four port KVM switch, which worked fine during the install, but gave me a keyboard error during real boot forcing me to add a dedicated keyboard. (Mouse and Monitor are fine)

Has anyone noticed other bugs with this or any other PA-Risc systems?
I will be looking to implement this on a D or K class in the future.

Thanks,
Kel
The more I learn, the more I realize how much more I have to learn. Isn't it GREAT!
11 REPLIES 11
Javier Ramirez_1
Frequent Advisor

Re: Debian 3.0 on a B180L

Where do yo find Debian for HP Visualize Workstations? Is there a bootable CD version?. Time ago there was a Debian version that must be compiled before installed...so is there a "nice-installation" version from Debian now??
How good is it? Does it recognize your hard?
Is there any linux software binaries for this version (any Debian CD with software)?
Thanks,
Javier
Frerk Friedrichsen_1
Occasional Advisor
Solution

Hi Kel,

which kernel version run on your B180L ?

In case 2.4.x run, try iptables instead of ipchains.

a Frerk
hang loose
Kelli Ward
Trusted Contributor

Hi Javier,

Below are 3 links for Debian for PA-Risc (hppa)

Oregon State gave me the best ability to download the ISO images, but I recommend checking Debain's web site for the purchasable copy, it's about $28 and well worth the headaches. (I downloaded and also tried Jigdo with less than pleasing results) Once you have the ISO's you burn them to CD's your self. There are 6 CD's, you need them all. Each is over 600Mb. (They are not like Intel CD's that have 1 to 3 install disks and a number of source disks. CD1 is the install and the rest are the software packages.

Check the links below

http://www.parisc-linux.org

http://www.debian.org

http://debian.oregonstate.edu/debian-cdimage/3.0_r0/hppa/

Hi Frerk,
Good thought, I had been jumping around on configurations and iptables slipped my mind. I am running a 2.4 kernel
I'll check iptables and post points.

Thanks,
Kel
The more I learn, the more I realize how much more I have to learn. Isn't it GREAT!
Kelli Ward
Trusted Contributor

Okay, that didn't sound right.
The CD's are around $28 and well worth it considering the possbile headaches of downloading your own. ;)
Kel
Aaron Mildenstein_1

Just FYI, since the problem seems to have been resolved:

I have a B180L, with 256M of RAM, an 18G hard drive, and Debian 3.0. I've been running it that way for MONTHS now, without so much as a hiccup. It is, in my network, functioning as a DNS server, a DHCP server, and a SQUID proxy server. I love what this box has done for me, and would recommend PA-RISC linux to anyone with an old box to play on.
I like jello.
Kelli Ward
Trusted Contributor

Hi Aaron,
Good to know. On my system, with 96Mb RAM, only about 7Mb of it is available on a freshly booted, idle system. I need more RAM definately. Other than that and a few installation woes, resolved now that the installation is over, it is working well.

Hi Frerk,
iptables looks good, thanks.

Kel
Javier Ramirez_1
Frequent Advisor

Thanks all,
Now I've got Debian on my Visualize 180L. But there's a lot of applications that don't work. Hera are some:
Mozilla, Ethereal, xpdf,.., and many more. For me, Mozilla is needed, I??ve tried to compile it but compilation enters in a loop and it doesn't end. Same happens when trying to compile apache.

Any clues??
Thanks a lot,
Javier
Jerome Henry
Honored Contributor

Try onpeing a new thread on it. It's better.
Check the compilation order.
If A needs B needs C, you have to be careful on compiling.
J
You can lean only on what resists you...
Mathew_9

Hello,

I have a Visualize B180L that has hp-ux 10.2 on it. The OS is trashed and rarly boots without hanging on a service. I'm new to nix so would like to start freash with a new install of 10.2+ or Linux.. any sugestions?

Thanks,
-Mathew