Re: Defragmentor

Joyceanne Baye

Defragmentor

I am having the same problem as Kathleen Mclatchie in a previous message. I
have used the defragmentor a few times before without any problems. This time
I let it run over night and it was still on 0%. I also tried the scan disk and
I get a message that says the program has had to restart 10 times and to shut
down any programs in use. I have nothing else open. I tried your suggestion
about the find fast and it did not help. Please help I am getting worried.
5 REPLIES 5
James Shell

This sounds like your Anti-Virus s/w is causing you a problem with on access scanning. Try disabling the virus checker then running defrag.
Maarten Veldhuis

oops forgot to say disable screensaver!!!
some screensavers (slide shows e.g.) generate disk access and this also interrupts the scandisk proces...

virus protection is one thing that could cause the problem, but it's also possible that other software is intefering. So close all applications, look next to your clock for applications running in system tray and close them also. If you're certain there's nothing left running try scandisk again
Maarten Veldhuis

virus protection is one thing that could cause the problem, but it's also possible that other software is intefering. So close all applications, look next to your clock for applications running in system tray and close them also. If you're certain there's nothing left running try scandisk again

Just in case other replies did not work, do the following :
1-Disable all software that launch at startup.
2-Perform a standard scandisk.
3-Perform a defrag.

if a standard scandisk couldn't even complete, simply turn off your system by pressing the power off button, so Windows may launch a scandisk from pseudo-DOS, which should fix any trouble with your disk.

Hope that helps

If it ain't rough it ain't me
Dennis Ng
Regular Advisor

Any Anti-Virus running would impede that as it logs system activity onto file, and/or scan changes in file system. (these are mostly configurable nowadays)

You may want to disable the log temporarily, or tweak with the options in your Anti-virus program. Else stop it temporarily(if your company policy allows that) to defrag nicely.
Not everything that can be counted counts; & not everything that counts can be counted.