1752278 Members
4950 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Desk top icons con't...

Sugar Gatch
Frequent Advisor

Desk top icons con't...

Latif; I did not really understand about going to the following resisrty HKEY-Current-USER\Software\Micrsoft\Windows\Current Version\Policies\Explorer and remove No Save Settings. So I went the start window and brought up the help menu. Looked under Registry and found "ARCserve backup and Backup EXEC backup. But both of them say that I have to reinstall windows 98. I bought this computer used and do not have the windows 98 CD. I can not re-install window 98. So I'm stuck at that point if that is the registry that you are telling me about. I looked at the lock desk top link you gave me to download. But it looks like I have to purchase the program, but I do not own a credit card. I alway's have to have thing's charged to my phone bill from off the computer. And some (most) thing's don't give you that option. Did I go to the right source of Registry or is there something I'm not understanding? Sorry for bring so needy but I really don't know that much about getting to what I need to find on the computer. I give my-self a little credit for learning what I have and for not giving-up. But I have had to practically beg people for help. I can't take a computer course because I run a business out of my home and can't leave to go take a class. Can't afford it either! It's being a single mom thing! So I ask alot of questions and read as much as I can. And then poke around alot on the computer. Sorry for the inconvienience. I understand if you can't help me any further but you are still welcomed to call me if you don't feel like coming back to this site. Thank you so very much!
4 REPLIES 4
Norman_21
Honored Contributor

Sugar

We are here to help so no worries, I mean you don't have to be sensetive cause we gain points for that and above all we enjoy helping out people. You know how it's like when you make a person happy!!! to me it equals millions of points! I wouldn't advise you to mess with the registery if you are not an experienced user cause you might cause damage to your system.
However, maybe I didn't make it clear.
Click on Start>Run and type regedit then hit Enter Key! The Registry Window will pop up.
Click on File>Export>a Window will pop up>Type a file name to save a copy of the registery, type Sugar for example then click save.
Then navigate through the Key that I postedearlier:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer and remove the following key ONLY IF FOUND:
NoSaveSettings
IF YOU DIDN'T FIND THE KEY JUST CLOSE THE REGISTERY WINDOW.

As far as the download ask you to pay, try this link but you have only 21 days free trial, it's a shareware not freeware!
http://www.moonvalley.com/products/downloads.htm

Hope this help!
"Attitudes are contagious, is yours worth catching"/ My first point was given by SEP on January 31, 2003
Sugar Gatch
Frequent Advisor

I think I found the regisrty. But I found no saved setting's. So I exited the registry. I was able to download a 21 day sample of the iconlock. But I'm affraid I don't know how to use it. I just want my desktop icons to saty were I put them. Does this mean no one else can add their own icons to the desk top also. My children use the same computer and I was looking to keep them from adding their own icons? I'm very confused not only how to work it. But also what other benifit's it serves and how to work them as well! Not gonna give up!-Sugar
James R. Martsolf
Occasional Advisor

Sugar, You may be interested in taking a look at a book that helped me tremendously when I started. Go to:www.wiley.com,click on operating systems, click on microsoft windows, scroll down to "master windows 98 visually" by Ruth Maran. Worth a look for a starter. JIm
Sugar Gatch
Frequent Advisor

ok, thanks