3630 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Deskpro EN 40BX-AGP - Indy

Claudio Papapietro
Occasional Advisor

Omar,
How can I find out if the bios will support the second HD? What should I look for in a pci controller? ATA 133? Will they all fit my machine?
Omar Senussi
Honored Contributor

Hi Claudio,
From all the info you have gathered about your PC, you should then be able to find the latest bios by going to support and drivers at the top of the page and downloading the bios, if you need to, or find out what your current bios supports.

At any rate, as mentioned above drive overlay software should allow you to override the intrinsic limitation of your bios.
If you are planning to use two drives, then if your PC has the option, set the drives to CS (Cable Select) with the jumpers on the drive.. and make sure the "master" drive is at the end of the IDE chain.

Should you decide to buy a new conrroller, get a good one and check that it is compatible with the PCI specification of your PC. You might not need to. it depends on what you are trying to achieve.
If you can keep your head whilst all around you are losing theirs... You haven't understood the situation!
Omar Senussi
Honored Contributor

Claudio,
Please check in your setup program (F10 at boot?) what ROM family your machine has.. this is important to dtermine which bios you install! Also, if you have the EXACT model number on the back/bottom of the machine, post it.. as this will help us help you.
If you can keep your head whilst all around you are losing theirs... You haven't understood the situation!
Claudio Papapietro
Occasional Advisor

I am still unable to find the exact model number for my machine. The Everest program didn't give it to me, nor can I find it on the case. It just says 'series PD 1006' on the back, if that helps at all. The only info I can get on a model number is what I listed at the beginning of this thread, which I obtained by running the serial number through a compaq model search engine.
Also, when I hit F10 at startup, I don't see anything for ROM. Could you be more specific as to what I am looking for.
As always, Thanks.
Omar Senussi
Honored Contributor

Strange, I thought it gave that detail in one of the menus. Do you have a diaghnostics disk? try that.