Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
General
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Device file creation - Tape drives

Senthil_15
Occasional Advisor

Device file creation - Tape drives

HI All,

I'm new to Linux (AS 4.5), recently zoned 2 fibre LTO-2 drives to Linux server. After #kudzu -p Newly added tape drive information is on /etc/sysconfig/hwconf, but device files are not created. DO I have to reboot everytime to create device file for new tape drive? . I tired Netbackup command Make_scsi_dev, it's not working .
2 REPLIES
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

Re: Device file creation - Tape drives

Is the 'st' kernel module installed? If not, try 'modprobe st', then double check '/proc/scsi/scsi' to ensure that there is a 'Sequential Access' device listed.

If there is, then '/dev/st0' and '/dev/nst0' should exist.

If this still doesn't work, then show us the contents of '/proc/scsi/scsi' as well as the output of the command 'dmesg' and the contents of '/var/log/dmesg'.
One long-haired git at your service...
Senthil_15
Occasional Advisor

Re: Device file creation - Tape drives

Install hp_fibreutils software got from HP.
With that my problem solved.

Thanks
Senthil.