1752680 Members
5601 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Difference between A class and N class esp file descritors

Phil Marshalsea

Difference between A class and N class esp file descritors

Hi all,

I am running an application that makes heavy use of threads and socket connections and am hitting limits on the A class machine im using. The A class has 4gb of memory but the application falls over when i reach 6666 file descriptors (maxfiles nfiles all higher than this). The problem is the N class machine worked fine with the application even though it has less memory (well 3gb). My question is is there a difference between the two machines in there capacity to deal with file descriptors in socket connections.

TIA

Phil
2 REPLIES 2
Stefan Farrelly
Honored Contributor

Re: Difference between A class and N class esp file descritors

Even though maxfiles and maxfiles_lim (file descriptors) may be set both really high there is still a soft limit (kernel=hard limit) for shells. You can see it udner posix shell by doing;
ulimit -a

And you can see the nofiles limit (descriptors). We just had a similar problem here which was solved by invoking from the shell ulimit -n before starting our applications and this fixed our problem. By default the soft limit from ulimit is much much lower than the hard limit.
Im from Palmerston North, New Zealand, but somehow ended up in London...
Phil Marshalsea

Re: Difference between A class and N class esp file descritors

I checked the ulimits and they look ok . Ive just completed testing on the N class and that handles the 15000 file descriptors without a problem. I am presuming (hoping) there is some limit within the A class architecture for the number of file descriptors one can use as the N class as i said performs fine .. Ill try HP h/ware support as well..

Thanks

Phil