1752805 Members
5431 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Disable CPU in HP-UX

kiran_3
Occasional Contributor

Disable CPU in HP-UX

I have a 1 CPU workstation(b2000) & a 2 CPU workstation(J 6000).My application does not use 2 CPUs & hence the performance on the J class is not very good,just 5-10% better than the B class.Can this happen due to the overhead of the 2nd CPU?
I want to disable the 2nd CPU & check the performace of the j class with 1 CPU active,how can i do it?
5 REPLIES 5
S.K. Chan
Honored Contributor

Reboot your system, and on it's way up, interrupt the boot process when you see "to discontinue, press any key.."

In the Main Menu enter "co" to get to the Configuration Menu. And in the Configuration Menu enter "cpu" to get the list of CPUs and to turn either one off simply enter.

cpu 1 off

or

cpu 0 off

Reboot the system afterwards.
Trond Haugen
Honored Contributor

On a system with more than one CPU you will find that CPU 0 does most of the housekeeping and thus will have a slightly higher load. If you can bind your application to CPU 1 you may get a little better performance.
Of course there are lots of other factors that will influence on the performance..

Regards,
Trond
Regards,
Trond Haugen
LinkedIn
Bill McNAMARA_1
Honored Contributor

I would doubt that's a cause of your problem..
I'd start first by patching your systems equally.

Although as mentioned, you can activate/disactivate by the BCH.

Hit the 10seconds to interupt boot
SER for service menu,
CPU for the CPU dealloc command.

Use HELP CPU to get the syntax.

You can also deconfigure from xstm (or mstm) online for the next boot... once you have a recent version of diagnostics installed.

Later,
Bill
It works for me (tm)
T G Manikandan
Honored Contributor

Sukant Naik
Trusted Contributor

Hi Kiran,

There is another way out apart from disabling /enabling while booting.

HP has a software called ICOD ( Instant Capacity on Demand ) which will allow you to do this.

-Sukant
Who dares he wins