108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Disk IO and CPU bottle necks

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mark Brook
Frequent Advisor

Disk IO and CPU bottle necks

I would like to monitor our system overnight, but there is nobody here to do it. I would like to find out if our system requires faster cpu's etc.

How can I go about doing it, glance is installed but never used it before.

Thanks

Mark
3 REPLIES 3
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Re: Disk IO and CPU bottle necks

Mark,

Glance is great for online, real-time monitoring but for offline, historical reporting you need the measureware component which is part of the GlancePlusPak (you may or may not have it - depends on whether you have Glance or GlancePlus) and is a whole other subject.

The easy way to do this is to get familiar with sar. Take a look at the man pages for sar and sa1. You can set up daily reports quite easily for any number of monitored system properties.

Pete

Pete
Hazem Mahmoud_3
Respected Contributor
Solution

The command you want is:
sar -o /tmp/results 60 720

/tmp/results is the file that the results will be saved in. It will sample cumulative activity over 60 seconds at 720 intervals (or basically will monitor the system for 12 hours). Then just start it before you leave, and you may want to have it run in the background "&". You might want to check my math on the 60 and 720 part:)

-Hazem
Uday_S_Ankolekar
Honored Contributor

If you have measureware then you can use Perfview to generate beautiful graphs and analyze system's performance.

You can also run a cronjob to collect sar data as other's mentioned.

for example in crontab
20,40 8-17 * * 1-5 /usr/lbin/sa/sa1

man sa1 for more information
-USA..
Good Luck..