108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Disks sharing same bus?

SOLVED
Go to solution
William Pribble
Frequent Advisor

Disks sharing same bus?

Could someone please tell me if the following two drives are sharing the same bus? Thanks

ext_bus 1 0/0/2/0 c720 CLAIMED INTERFACE SCSI C875 Ultra Wide Single-Ended
ext_bus 2 0/0/2/1 c720 CLAIMED INTERFACE SCSI C875 Ultra Wide Single-Ended

My primary root drive is on path 0/0/2/.0.6.0
My alternate root drive is on path 0/0/2/1.6.0
7 REPLIES 7
yairg
Occasional Advisor

Re: Disks sharing same bus?

I think that you using the same bus

try iostat
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi Elaine,

They share the same system bus (0/0/2), but NOT the same SCSI bus (0/0/2/0 & 0/0/2/1). They have the same SCSI ID (6) so you'd have trouble if they were on the same SCSI bus.

Rgds,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Helen French
Honored Contributor

They are defenitely NOT on the same SCSI bus. Both disks are connected to different SCSI controllers (especially when they have same SCSI ID -6).
Life is a promise, fulfill it!
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

There are on different buses (and indeed they would have to be since they are both SCSI Target ID 6).

There is one possible "gotcha" and that is it is just possible that this is an array LUN and that both paths point to the same LUN -- one being the primary path and the other an alternate path to the same LUN. If you know that this is not the case then then they must be separate physical devices.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor

Hi,

My guess is that they are on different bus.

do ioscan -fnkC disk |more

Look and see if the disks are using the same controller, c1 or c2 or c3 or so on.

If they are same, then it is the same controller, otherwise they are on different controller.

Hope this helps.

Regds
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor
Solution

Elaine,

BTW - those are not disks you listed. They are the SCSI HBAs (Host Bus Adapters) that disks, tapes, CD/DVDs, etc would attach to.

And I thought those looked familiar. That's an N-class or an rp7430/50/70 system - correct?
Each of those SCSI HBAs hosts one of the internal disks & that's about it.
The SCSI HBAs both live on the same PCI bus, but the other drive will remain active if one of the SCSI HBAs goes bad.

Generally tapes & DVDs/CDs hang off another SCSI bus - on most of mine it's 0/0/1/0

HTH,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
William Pribble
Frequent Advisor

I know those are the HBAs. HP was in today and said that my disks are using the same bus. I thought I would see what some of the forum users thought. BY the way it is a N4000.

Thanks Everyone..