Display damaged after network is down

SOLVED
Go to solution
savus
Advisor

Display damaged after network is down

Hello guys,

I have a HP-UX B.10.20.
I has 2 network cards. I change very offten one cable to diffent switches.
After I take the cable out I have some messages with Network DISASTER a display that is a little "damaged" from the messages. As a fix I do right click Workspace Menu -> Refresh and every thing is ok.
Do you have any ideea how can I skip this refresh step and still have a "clear" display?

Thanks in advance,
Stefan
9 REPLIES 9
Adam W.
Valued Contributor

Re: Display damaged after network is down

First question would be why are you still running 10.20? Outdated and no longer supported.
There are two types of people in the world, Marines and those who wish they were.
savus
Advisor

Hi, the same thing I have it on B.11.11.
Can anyone help me ?
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

hi Stefan:

If it hurts, don't do it.

Seriously, a loss of network connection will display a "disaster" message on a console. You have an appropriate "fix".

Regards!

...JRF...
Adam W.
Valued Contributor

I would say to install another card if possible, but breaking network connectivity while the system is functioning can have consequences. It may not always recover and could (in a rare occurance) cause some driver issues.
There are two types of people in the world, Marines and those who wish they were.
Adam W.
Valued Contributor

Bottom line the way your doing this, you are ALWAYS going to ge that error and there isn't going to be a way around it. Once the connection is broken you are going to HAVE to run the refresh.
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

What's wrong with a refresh? It's the restart that will mess up your iconified windows.
Heiner E. Lennackers
Respected Contributor
Solution

Just open a xterm with option -C (console) to catch the console messages to this xterm (see xterm(1)). Leave it open or minimize it. If you don't have a console window the console messages will go to the background and destroy your output.

HeL
if this makes any sense to you, you have a BIG problem
savus
Advisor

Hello,

Thanks for the solution "xterm -C". It's pretty good. Can edit the .profile file in order to have this at startup ? Or do you suggest anything else?
Stefan
V. Nyga
Honored Contributor

Hi,

configure your desktop.
Start the console as user.
Then configure as user your 'Desktop manager' or 'Environment manager' (sorry, i only have the german phrases).
The most right icon then - it's a key.

There you can define that the current session becomes the new standard session.

HTH
Volkmar

*** Say 'Thanks' with Kudos ***