6238 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Display on Linux

Vikas_2
Advisor

Display on Linux

Hi,
How can I get CDE(HP-UX) displayed on Linux machine(RH 7.1 with gnome). I can get the X display by exporting the DISPLAY value and xhost but the initial CDE login screen I can't.

TIA
Vikas
6 REPLIES 6
Sachin Patel
Honored Contributor

Re: Display on Linux

Hi Vikas
You mean you want CDE display on your Linux workstation? you can use xemulatar like exceed. and get that. I would not do it though. because if you bring CDE on linux you can't use linux. But as you says if you bring back x windows to linux you can use unix and linux both.

In exceed communication-mode use XDMCP-query or XDMCP-???? (i don't excetly remember).

Sachin
Is photography a hobby or another way to spend $
Vikas_2
Advisor

if I'm not wrong, exceed is for windows systems.But I want to get CDE on Linux.This Linux machine is going to work as the display screen for HP-UX so the access to linux functionality is not very important.

Vikas
Zeev Fisher
Occasional Advisor

You need to buy a commercial package - CDE for Linux.
For example try :
http://www.midnightdreary.com/Documents/Linuxhowto/commercial-howto.html#ss19.5

Exceed is only emulation for Windows environment. It can't give you CDE if you don't have it on the server.
Bill Thorsteinson
Honored Contributor

On the Linux client change the xdm configuration to
use either broadcast or your HP-UX host as the chooser
option. You can then have the HP-UX host provide the
CDE desktop for you.

If you are just using Linux as an X-terminal for HP-UX
then you shouldn't need to install CDE on Linux.
Gerard Leclercq
Trusted Contributor

If you want to use both CDE from hpux displayed on linux, and gnome
on linux at the same time, try VNC at

www.uk.research.att.com/vnc

It is free (GPL), very simple to install, and very interesting.

Gerard
RikTytgat
Honored Contributor

Hi,

If you have dtlogin running on a HP-UX server, and you want to have a CDE session on your Linux workstation (even simultaneously w/ your KDE/Gnome session) you would start the command:

X -query :1

where :1 is the display on which your CDE session will run. This way, you have 2 X-sessions at the same time, and you can switch between them by pressing Ctrl-Alt-F7 and Ctrl-Alt-F8 (this is on my portable, it might vary, so you try a bit).

When you want to start an X app on your CDE session, use the display :1 , and for your gnome/KDE session, use :0

Good luck,
Rik