1752862 Members
4025 Online
108791 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Distributed computing

Eileen Millen_1
Occasional Contributor

Distributed computing

I need some sort of load-balancing software for processors and memory.

We have 8 multi-CPU machines running HP-UX 10.20, and a bunch of users with Fortran programs. Everything is NFS-mounted from one location. Is there anything available that will let users submit Fortran programs to run "somewhere" without worrying about which system is free?

thanks in advance
2 REPLIES 2
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

Re: Distributed computing

Here's one thought,

Have you checked out PRM (Process Resource Management) software from HP. I believe you use this to reserve a % of process resources...maybe you could then setup your Fortran programmers into a specific group and then only allow this group to have access to % of a system.

Like I said, just a thought,
/rcw
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Distributed computing

Hi Eileen,

Your question made me think a bit and I did come up with one promising approach. I don't claim that it's finished but still it should work. The idea is to run a series of sar -u commands on remote hosts via remsh and to look for the most idle system. You would then execute the FORTRAN code as a remsh on the remote host. I do assume that these are non-interactive programs. If not, the problem becomes more difficult. Nevertheless the germ of the idea is in the attached script.

Food for thought, Clay
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.