New Discussion юеВ

Re: Doubts

priyarajan
Contributor

Doubts

Hi all

I want to know

1.How to configure ftp, telnet in linux
2.Is Veritas volume manager is suitable for linux.

Explain me in steps
6 REPLIES 6
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

The configurations steps may vary depending of your linux distribution and version. Please post the distribution and version you are using.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
bruceedgar
Occasional Advisor

thanks

Iam using Red hat linux 9.
HGN
Honored Contributor

Hi

In RedHat linux you need to check if you have the ftp rpm installed and enable it. Telnet can be enabled.SSH is enabled by default on the OS.

Rgds

HGN
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Sorry, I don't remember the right steps for Red Hat 9, it's very old. Is there a reason to use such an old version? Can you upgrade to Fedora Core?

As I said, for ftp, I don't remember what uses RH9.

All Linux uses the telnet-server-.rpm to enable telnet. Telnet is very insecure and should not be used anymore, use SSH instead. But, if you want to use:

Install the package:

rpm -ivh telnet-server-.rpm

Enable it using:

ntsysv

Or

chkconfig telnet on

Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Alexander Chuzhoy
Honored Contributor

to enable telnet do:
chkconfig telnet on
to enable ftp on redhat 9 do:
service vsftpd start

both are unsecured though.
Vitaly Karasik_1
Honored Contributor

As for Logical Volume Manager - all modern distribution (Fedora Core 4/5, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3/4, CentOS 3/4 - if we speak about "Red Hat Linux successors") have LVM.

Rgds,
Vitaly

Oops! I'm sorry, even RHL9 has LVM - see "Red Hat Linux 9: Red Hat Linux Customization Guide", for example here http://redhat.activeventure.com/9/customizationguide/ch-lvm-intro.html