108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Dual Booting Linux and Windows98 SE

SOLVED
Go to solution
Alex_14
Occasional Advisor

Dual Booting Linux and Windows98 SE

I am using Partition Commander to split my 8770C's Hard Drive. And it is asking me if I want to use System Commander, which I like more then Lilo. How do I tell Mandrake during the installation not to use LILO?

-Alex
6 REPLIES 6
Vincenzo Restuccia
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Dual Booting Linux and Windows98 SE

If you select installation of Mandrake expert,you can select lilo in floppy or not install lilo.
Alex_14
Occasional Advisor

what about if I am doing custom. I am still fairly new to Linux and cannot do an Expert.

Thank you for the prompt response.

-Alex
Dave Gibson

Alex - Your right System Commander is a far better tool for selecting your OS at boot time. However, it is not a good a idea to tell linux not to use lilo because you might want to have the option to boot from more than your bog standard kernel image (vmlinuz) - lilo gives you the ability to select different kernel images. This is particularly useful if you have just tweaked your kernel and want to try it out before deciding whether or not stick with it. The old kernel is renamed to something more appropriate and an entry is included in the lilo.conf file so that the new and the old kernel are available to boot from.

You can still use System Commander to initially boot up - selecting linux will then give you the lilo screen. IF you configure you lilo.conf to wait for 2-3 seconds before booting vmlinuz the you will have the ability to break the "cycle" and select an alternitive kernel image. Believe me, this can be a life saver!!.

As for Mandrake "expert" mode - the actual installation does not require "expert" knowledge just commonsense and a printout of the windows configuration (available via the control panel) which will allow you to manually assign i/o and irq addresses if needed etc.

Good Luck

Dave Gibson
Alex_14
Occasional Advisor

How do I configure the lilo.conf file to wait 2-3 seconds to load the vmlinuz. I am semi-familiar with the file, just tell me where to insert the line of code to make it do that. In addition how do I tell system commander or LILO to use System commander to initially boot it.

Again thank you for all you help, I just need to get past this one barrier.

-Alex
Kevin Wright
Honored Contributor

jsut change the timeout value in /etc/lilo.conf, but be sure, absolutely sure you run lilo after modifying this file, or your system could become unbootable.(although unlikely if your only changing the TO variable).
Dave Gibson

Alex, Kevin is right about not forgetting to run /sbin/lilo to update lilo with the new configuration settings. As for geting system commander to be the first thing to be seen at boot up...Installing SC from within your windows 98 session will allow system commander to replace (and backup) the dos boot up files. When you have done that, SC will recognise the ext2fs file system (and most other file systems) and assign the appropriate startup menu option within sc to boot the OS of your choice.

Regards

Dave Gibson