Operating System - Microsoft
1751967 Members
4711 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Dual Operating systems

Dave_311

Dual Operating systems

I would like to re build my Kayak with 2 operating systems such that I can choose which one to boot to at Start Up etc. Do I need to obtain an extra piece of software to do this..... or does the standard HP bios have the ability to provide a boot menu etc? If it does any advice would be much appreciated

Thanks
Dave

3 REPLIES 3
Bruno Ganino
Honored Contributor

Dave, which is your model ? Which O.S. used ?

http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Lookup?h_lang=en&h_cc=us&cc=us&h_page=hpcomтМй=en&h_client=z-A-R1002-1&h_tool=prodhomes&h_query=kayak

Bye
Bruno
Torino (Turin) +2H
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

The Boot menu is created when you install multiple OS's, by the OS install.

Usual senerio:

Dual booting Win98 and 2000
Use fdisk to create 2 partitions, or have 2 physical HD.
You start, by installing the lowest (oldest) OS first, so... install Win98 to the first partition (or disk).
Next, boot with the Win2000 install CD, and select the 2nd partition (remaining area on the single disk) or the second disk to install to.

After the install is complete, when you reboot, the boot menu created by the Win2000 install will reflect windows 2000 as a choice, and Windows (this should be win98) as the second selection.

The boot.ini file (on C:\) is editable with notepad. Change the properties on the file to read/write by unselecting "Readonly". Now you can make changes to the display name for the OS (the area between the ""'s).

This is a very high level over-view of how to do a dual-boot, and is missing the detailed steps of making sure that you have (on CD or disk) all of the required drivers for your hardware, etc. If you need more information, let us know.

Jon

"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda
Dave_311

Thanks Jon,

I will give it a go see what happens

cheers
Dave