Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
General
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dual Oracle DB problem sort of resolved.

Michael Brooks_4
Occasional Advisor

Dual Oracle DB problem sort of resolved.

Well it looks like, because I have multiple databases on my system, the programs have a problem pointing the correct home. So, after I turn on my PC I have to turn off all the databases, then depending on what I want to do start that particular database then use that application. All but one application work in this manner, and that is the SQL-Navigator; is there a way to have all databases running so I donâ t have to work like this, and does anyone know how I would get the SQL-Navigator working again; it gives an error ORA-12154L TBS: could not resolve service name?

Oh and thanks so much for your help in pointing out a answer,
M
8 REPLIES
Massimo Bianchi
Honored Contributor

Re: Dual Oracle DB problem sort of resolved.

Usually this means that the application is not able to find the proper tnsnames.ora

Try either:

add environtment variable TNS_ADMIN=

or

copy in both the ORACLE_HOME/network/admin the same tnsnames.ora

Remember that tnsnames dor 817 and 902 are different, they may use service_name or sid, depending upon the executables and the destination database...

Massimo

Michael Brooks_4
Occasional Advisor

Thanks, for that but are you talking about tns_admin in the Windows Registry?

If so, I cant seem to find that or if not and you are talking about the tns_name, don't have then new database sid in the other tns file, and I dont have the other in the new tns_name. I thought they were separate. Can you clearify please?

Thanks,
Mike
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi,

he is talking about the place, where you define environment variables. Go to system configuration/system/enhanced and there you can see and edit the variables.

greetings,

Michael
Massimo Bianchi
Honored Contributor

I'm talking about the environtment variable TNS_ADMIN, that should point to the location of the tnsnames.ora file

usually, if not otherwise specified, its value is $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin

Usually is best if all is aligned...

to how many different database do you connect to (usually)?

Massimo
Michael Brooks_4
Occasional Advisor

This must be on the UNIX BOX, but I am on a pc. Is that correct?

Thanks,
Mike
Massimo Bianchi
Honored Contributor

TNS_ADMIN is both for unix and windows.

obviouslt the path canghes..

Massimo
Tim Sanko
Trusted Contributor

First of all unless you are running 2003 server there isn't support of more than one release of oracle on 2000 server/NT etc. That being said, apparently you can toggle them and without too much problem have access to either release.

Since you have a PC, run Linux. If you really want to use 2 releases on a PC server it is by far the cheapest manner. Redhat 7-9 works fine. Use ODBC to access the data from a PC. It is easier by far to do Oracle on any UNIX or variant, IMHO.

Tim
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

you can define your TNS_ADMIN by doing the following on your Windows based server (W2K)

System Properties
->Advanced
->Environment Variables
->System Variables

then New

hope this helps too!

regards
Yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)