Regards
Syed
Let's share the great thing "THE KNOWLEDGE"
Andreas D. Skjervold
Honored Contributor

Re: Dual Oracle Installations !!!

Hi

Just to add to your question:
>how about /var/opt/oracle where oracle keeps info about the location of inventory?

This points to $ORACLE_BASE/oraInventory
which is common for all ORACLE_HOMES on the server (as of 8i)

So no effect here as well

Andreas
Only by ignoring what everyone think is important, can you be aware of what everyone ignores!
George A Bodnar
Trusted Contributor

Re: Dual Oracle Installations !!!

In our environment we have multiple oracle installs on the same server using the same account. We have a structure like this:

/code/oracle/product/8.1.6
/code/oracle/product/8.1.7
etc.

With Oracle 8i there is the /var/opt/oracle/oraInst.loc file to deal with which we handle by doing the following:

* Before new installation edit this file and set inventory_loc=/code/oracle/product/8.1.7/oraInventory
* You need to create this directory and have it owned by Oracle.
* Run your install using the Universal installer and then make a backup copy of this oraInst.loc with the version name. Then you just have to remember to toggle back and forth for versions if you are applying patches.

This also applies with Oracle 9i which also uses the same installer.

Then when using Oracle you need to have ORACLE_HOME/ORACLE_BASE/etc. set to the correct oracle binaries for a database.

The only danger is making sure when you apply software or load a new version that you edit the oraInst.loc file so you do not stomp on your valid installation.