Operating System - Linux
1748198 Members
2620 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Duel booting WinXP & Linux redhat on 915GV mother board

Duel booting WinXP & Linux redhat on 915GV mother board

I have just purchased Compaq P4 516(P) 2.93 GHz 533MHz FSB Desktop. Chipset Intel 915GV, RAM 256, HD 40GB. While Installing Linux redhat after WinXP in seperate partition, installation is OK but not functioning after cold booting. My HP vendor told that 915 motherboard d'nt support this and patch need to be down loaded and that is not available. Is that true. If yes/no if some one can help me. My knowledge in Linux is Zero. But I need it for my daughter's use, for her school education. I need your help to talk with my vendor.
7 REPLIES 7
Steven E. Protter
Exalted Contributor

Re: Duel booting WinXP & Linux redhat on 915GV mother board

In general, I take a system with windows installed on part of the disk or a two disk system.

Then I boot off of Linux and install my distribution, leaving grub as the boot manager.

This will leave you with a system that shows a screen at startup with countdown offering you which partition to boot off of, and you can name them or change them later by editing grub.conf

A windows installation into an existing Linux system, which you did not say you did, usually results in a useless unbootable system.

I see no reason based on your hardware why this should be a problem, unless the bios is not compatible with Linux.

There are some bios options in certain bios, concerning plug and play operating systems that I usually turn off on dual boot boxes.

SEP
Steven E Protter
Owner of ISN Corporation
http://isnamerica.com
http://hpuxconsulting.com
Sponsor: http://hpux.ws
Twitter: http://twitter.com/hpuxlinux
Founder http://newdatacloud.com
Alexander Chuzhoy
Honored Contributor

Hi,
what do you mean by:
"not functioning after cold booting"
you can boot into windows but you don't see the option for linux?
I don't think (for now) that the problem is vendor related.I belive it's the installation issue.
Piergiacomo Perini
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

as Steven and Alexander say, maybe it's
a "loader" issue.
In my opinion, you have to setup/install
a linux loader like GRUB or LILO.

Hih

regards
pg

Hi friends,
Many thanks for your feedback. I was shipped the machine with DOS OS loaded. Thereafter following usual methods WinXP then Linux was loaded. But once the machine was shutdown and booted again --- "bootgui"--- was appeared on my screen.

I have both WinXP & Linux CDs with me. So Pl. tell me what I should do again after reinstalling the same.

HP service people conveyed me over phone that some bios setup in my 40GB SATA HDD need to be changed. I am worried of permanent damage in my PC by doing all such experiments.--- Regards
linuxtolinux
Frequent Advisor

Hi,
i have the same motherboard at home , mostly the same specification of your pc,

i installe WINXp on my pc first(i left a partition on my hard drive to be used for linux installation and then i installed linux on that partition choosing grub as a loader.
therfore ,you should during the installation install grub on the master boot record of your drive so that at booting grub detect the two operatin system (winxp and linux) and you can choose to boot the one you want .
Jason S. Bailey

Windows will often require a driver for your motherboard's SATA controller during the installation (by pressing F6 to "specify a third party somethingorother" as soon as it boots from the installation media.) I've never had a similar problem with linux.

Generally, you can find the driver from the SATA controller's website (for example, Silicon Image is a popular controller manufacturer.) HP may be giving you the run around because they won't provide this driver disk.

However, it doesn't sound like this is the problem you are having. When you install linux, make sure that you are choosing to use the linux boot loader (grub/lilo).
Indrajit_1
Valued Contributor

Hi,

As i know, Linux OS is mother independent.. When it concern with patches... what patches need to be install.. is it windows patch.. ??? or linux patch ???

it does not make any sense...
u need to install Windows in diffrent partition. u should have some free space (not partition by windows) where u can install Red Hat linux...

1. Take a backup of all ur data in a CD.
2. First install WinXP (During installation format the hard disk and create one partition)
3. After installation of winxp, use disk manager to create some more partition. But keep some free space around 10gb for linux.. don't create any sort partition.
4.boot the machine using linux bootable cd.
5. During linux partition, select free available space.

Try this, hope it will hlp u to resolve ur issue..

cheers
indrajit
Never Ever Give Up